The 4th!

It was a busy week with finishing up summer collaboration at school. Now all that I have left is to finish my summer list, which consists mostly of laminating everything and cutting it out. Thank goodness for willing hands to help.

It was quite the weekend. The roommates and I decided to pack it full of all the fun things that we could possibly do. Provo has what is call the Freedom Festival, which is really cool. We started the weekend with pizza and movie. We also went to Macey's and pretty much bought them out. Between the three of us we filled the trunk of the car and filled up half of the back seat. Why so much food...well, all three of us are cooking for dinner group this coming week and we had a BBQ on Saturday (I'll get to that soon).

Saturday was extremely busy. It started with the balloon launch at 6:30 in the morning. I have never been so close to hot air balloons, and it is really cool. There was a Cocoa Cola, pig, Smokey the Bear, and my personal favorite...Darth Vader. It also included Storm troops, a general, a Sith, and come pilots. It was the cool just to see them walking around. After that we came home and had muffins and juice and then took a nap. We left shortly after the naps for Center Street where all the action was happening. We stopped and looked at some stores on the way down to the fair. While at the fair we looked a bunch of cool booths and then to the Colonial tents. They always have an area where they show you Colonial things like a blacksmith and things you would find in a period home. We also stopped by two small museums. One had the Utah history and the other was a print museum, which had printing presses and apparently had the largest Gutenberg collection of material in the US. Kind of cool. After that we came home and got ready for a BBQ, that included homemade root beer and grilled pineapple. It was really fun; we ended it with swimming. We all ended up with some funny tans. Apparently we didn't put it on very well. We ended the day with the Stadium of Fire Fireworks show. It was really good. They out did themselves this year.

On Monday I am going to run (not literally) up to Idaho with some friends and watch the display up there and have some fun.

I guess I just want to end with a quick thought. While I was watching the fireworks, it got very loud. I couldn't help but think that some people around the world would shrink in fear because of the noise, because it wouldn't mean pretty, bright lights, but death and war. I am very grateful for the country that I live in and for those that have served and do serve in the military (thanks to both grandpas!). We owe the chance that we have to live without fear, because they are willing to put their lives on the line to protect us.

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm so glad you're having a fun summer! And I have to say, I concur with your thought & the end. I never really thought of it like that. :)