Of Christams and makeovers!

The kids are wound up because of the holidays.  It is nothing new...happens every year.  This coming week will be a half week, but very busy in the three days we have.  We have three music performances and I at least have two Christmas parties.  Don't worry I am prepared.  I have my extra trash bags.

My funny story this week happened with a group of girls.  I have to say this is the most girly group I have ever had.  Case and point.  At recess we had a Mary-Kay party.  I was at lunch when the principal came in and found me.  She proceeded to hand me a bag of makeup and said I need to come and look at something.  I walked into the lunchroom and saw a group of five girls that had done makeovers at recess.  Can you say urban camouflage?  We had green eye shadow on our nose, blush by our ears, and it looked like they all had black eyes.  It was the funniest thing I had ever seen.  I took them down to wash off their faces, because I didn't want to have to answer to the moms, although I am sure they would have got a kick out of it.  My only comment to them was once their faces were clean...there are my beautiful girls.

In light of what has happened recently, I am grateful that my problems are so small at school and that I can usually just laugh, because it is so funny.  Teachers are many things: nurse, mother, life coach, therapist, etc.  It is sad that we have to add body guard to the list.  I have heard so many stories of teachers blocking their students and literally taking a bullet for it.  I am heart broken that we live in a society where teachers have to make the sacrifice, but proud to be apart of a profession that would give everything for their students, even the ornery ones.  For me my students are my babies.  I feel like I am there mother and have a desire to protect them like their real parents.

On a happier note...it was a busy week finishing up my masters classes.  I am officially done for the semester.  I will work on my thesis during the break.  It is nice to not have pressing assignments.  It was also the end of the semester for BYU.  Much of the female population is exiting the Provo area to serve missions.  My roommate included.  We helped her pack and clean, because she won't be back to Provo for basically two years.  It has been kind of bitter sweet, because it feels like the end of another era.  I have always been blessed to have excellent roommates that have helped me to grow, Becky included.  We went to the temple for the last time for a while on Saturday morning and it was very nice.

I am excited for the break and am looking forward to seeing family and spending some quality time with them.


Comments