Whirlwind of a Week!

It was one of those crazy weeks where everything  needed to be completed.  Parent teacher conferences are coming up next week and I needed to assess the kids for up to date data on where they where at.  I think we administered six assessments, but I am not sure.  In case you were wondering, that's a lot for kindergarten.  We have almost hit our thirty day mark.  Typically it takes the kids that long to get into a routine.  I am excited to see where this group will go academically.  Every year is so different!  I am most excited, as I said last week, about their personalities.  They are starting to come out.

This week I have a couple of stories.  Both happened as we were waiting for dental varnishing.  A group of students were discussing fighting monsters and how they like to beat them up.  One boy said, "Sometimes, I like to kick dinosaurs' butts."  I am not sure where it came from, but it was really funny.  I couldn't contain myself.  Shortly after another student began to cry after I explained that when they get their teeth varnished, their teeth get painted with something to make them strong.  It was the easiest way I could think to explain it.  I learned that I have to be careful about what I say, because to a child, it doesn't always mean what I think it means.  So, I asked this boy why he was crying and he looked up at me and said, "I don't want my teeth painted, they won't look pretty any more."  He took what I said to mean that they were going to paint their teeth with colors and he would have colorful teeth, which he did not want.  A little while later they were told that they could not eat or drink anything for one hour.  This same student broke down and stated that he would starve.  We really have to be careful what we say, because kids sometimes can't quite grasp what we are saying.  It broke my heart a little to see him cry, but it was really cute.

On top of having assessments, it was spirit week at school.  This always means that the kids are a little crazy, because every day they dress up like for Western day.  I was relieved the week was over, so I could make a quick trip home to visit the parents and then to watch the Relief Society Broadcast, which was very good.

If I survive the week, I will see you next week!

Comments