Pre-testing Week/Hurricane Week

Before you panic too much, pre-testing week was far worse than the hurricane.  Tim worked hard and stressed hard this week.  He spent a lot of time reviewing and studying and judging by his dreams, dreaming about the material for his exams.  I think he will be fine; I might be a little worried if he wasn't a little stressed about everything.

While our life revolved around studying this week, it also revolved around missionary work.  We taught a lesson in our apartment on Tuesday night to one of our neighbors.  I don't think anything will come of it, but I gained valuable incite into the general population around us.  After listening and watching it was very apparent our neighbor had a desire to know our Savior, while not interested in finding a church.  It seems as lost, confused, and uninterested in religion as people may seem, some part of them still has a desire to know Him and live better.  They just aren't ready to make the changes they need to make.

Wednesday was our night off, so I could do some laundry.  Thursday night I went visiting teaching.  It was also by Thursday that we started to hear about a hurricane coming to Mexico and that could come around to the southern part of Texas.  By Friday, they were estimating some areas of Houston receiving a foot of rain.  I made sure that I did my grocery shopping on Friday night so we would have food if (that's a big if) something were to happen.

Saturday was a busy day for us.  It started earlier with me driving to little Burma to teach with the missionaries.  I made friends with a very energetic one year old and was able to teach just a little, but not much because everything was translated.  As we were leaving it started to rain.  I made it home as it started to pour.  I took Tim up to campus so he could study in the lab and came home to get started on everything else.

Saturday's "everything else" consisted of opening up doors and windows to allow fresh, cool air to come in the apartment as it rained.  I then got dinner going, because we had the sister missionaries coming over for dinner.

I then made some chocolate banana bread, which was a real winner!

While I was cooking and baking, I noticed what seemed to be low hanging clouds outside until I smelled smoke.  I thought it was really strange that someone would be barbecuing when it is raining so hard outside.  But, later as I was leaving I noticed a lot of lights down the street from firetrucks.  I figured it was something do with the water and flooding.  This morning when we were driving to church we discovered why there was lights and smoke.

Apparently, several families were having a terrible weekend.  The complex was three floors and as you can see the top floor no longer exists.  There were about nine apartments destroyed.  We couldn't see the back, so there may have been more that were affected.

This made our problem seem very small and very easy to manage.  Just before I went to pick up Tim I noticed that we had a leak of our own.  Luckily, it was dripping right into a sink, so we call management and let it leak.

 We had the sisters over for dinner and then the elders came over as well to teach another lesson to our neighbor.  Church was really busy.  We were driving to church and Tim got a text from the sunbeam teacher who he was supposed to be helping today to say that he was sick.  So, I got recruited to the sunbeams, which was fun.  The class was filled with girls.  Two of them were crying and needed to go out in the hall.  I took one and Tim took the other.  Tim did a great job teaching the lesson.  He has decided that the younger the age group the more enrichment activities he is going to include.  I spent most of my time running after a little girl that specifically stated she was going to run away five more times.  She was a hoot, and I really enjoyed trying to figure out how to help her calm down and at least sit with me in the hall and talk.

So, here is to another week!

Comments