And then there was three!

Most of you already know, but our family has increased to three.  Hyrum Lawrence Zimmerman decided to come on Wednesday morning at 8:56 am.  He weighed in at 7 pounds and 15 ounces, 19.65 inches long.  We weren't sure how they came up with the .65, but that is what is on his official records.

Because he was so overdue the doctor decided to induce.  We waited a day and half to get in because there was no room in the inn.  We got a call on Tuesday at lunch time and we left for the hospital.  Once we were in and settled I was put on two different meds to induce me.  Neither of them very pleasant and one was down right terrible.  I was on that medication for 12 hours, which brought on contractions.  By round two of the meds I decided to take something to help me sleep.  Best choice ever!!  I was able to  sleep from 1-4ish and I think I really helped me in the long run.

At about 4:45 my water broke and the doctor checked and I was at 5 cm.  They started the pitocin and the REAL fun began.  I got my epidural at about 7 and then I started transition.  We soon discovered that I had a hot spot, meaning there was a portion of my body that did not get any pain meds.  I worked through that and luckily everything progress really fast.  I am not sure I would have been tough enough to handle that long term.

The doctor checked me and said I was ready to push and by nine I was holding a baby!  Here is a picture of Tim holding him for the first time.  They hospital where I was at is a university hospital and they are all about research.  I guess there is a lot of research to suggest that it is best if mom has baby for the first couple of hours.  Poor Tim had to wait a while to hold him, but below is a picture of him getting to hold his son for the first time.


We stayed in the hospital until late Friday afternoon.  I think the worst part of the hospital is how much you get interrupted.  All day and night doctors and nurses were coming in to check on us.  I was really annoying to have worked so hard to get him to sleep to have someone come in and undo his blanket and make him cry.  He does not like to be chilled.

It was kind of weird to go to the hospital without a child and to be wheeled out with a tiny body.  Tim put him in his car seat and we headed home to celebrate his birth.  They gave us a cake at the hospital and mom had bought some ice cream.  We ate that and then opened some gifts from Central.  They sent me a box of baby gifts that we opened when he got home.

He slept through it, but we will give him a pass.

We spent Saturday and today chilling at home.  He eat, sleeps and poops. 


Today was a landmark day for Tim.  He changed his first diaper and it was dirty!  He did a great job and is enjoying every minute of being a dad.   





Exams begin for Tim on Monday.  He just needs to make it through Wednesday and he should be good.  He will have a total of three weeks of exams.  Most of them are every other day.  Once he finishes that he will have about a week off and then he will begin his summer internships in June and July.

That pretty much sums up our week...every exciting and more pictures to come as the weeks go by!

Comments

Stephanie said…
Congrats!!! He is super cute!!