Time change blues...

Not going to lie, the time change won this weekend.  We had plans to get to bed early, but I received a message saying I was back-up to teach in Relief Society.  I was up late preparing and the morning came early for all of us.  We were all tired and a little grumpy at church.  Hyrum skipped his nap, but went to sleep much faster than he has been.  Tim and I struggled to fall asleep last night, so we were dragging again this morning.

Despite the time change, we had a busy week!  The weather stayed warm without much rain, so that was nice.  There have been a lot of nasty flu and cold bugs going around and we have been able to avoid it for the most part.  We just need to make it a couple more months to the warm season and we should be good.

Both Hyrum and I have been working on our tans.  Only in Texas would we be tan in March!  Besides spending plenty of time outside we had many other mini adventures this week.

Monday I found a great deal on a toy kitchen.  They can be really expensive, but I found this one brand new, in the box for 50% off.  I call it a win.  The box is now in our closet taking up space.  We are keeping it for his birthday.  Hopefully (probably not), he will leave my kitchen things alone and I can actually use the measuring cups and spoons.  We brought out the sidewalk chalk and Hyrum made some masterpieces for us.  We really enjoyed it.  We ended the day with a quick trip to the beloved library.


Tuesday was another sunny day.  We went to a music class and sang lots of cowboy songs, because it is rodeo month in Houston...more on that later.  Tim also had the championship soccer game in the evening.  It was single elimination and unfortunately they were eliminated in the first game.  I made cinnamon rolls for the team, but they were pretty bummed and didn't feel like eating.  So, Tim was happy to eat them all for breakfast during the week.


Wednesday was rodeo day.  We have never been, so I decided this was the year.  We went to with a friend.  I was glad that Hyrum was able to see so many different animals and see things first hand.  Living in the city was don't get the chances that I did as a child.  He loved the pigs, sheep, chicks, and the Texas Longhorn cow (which I had never seen).





Overall it was fun, but I felt it was over priced and too busy.  I have been too quite a few state and county fairs and you are definitely paying for the hype in Houston.  There were hundreds of 1st-3rd graders running around the fair grounds that happen to be a few blocks from us.  Because it is so close, the traffic is terrible and any time it rains or the traffic is bad it brings out the worst of Houston drivers, which are already terrible.  Twice it took us more than thirty minutes to get on the major road, when it should take less than five.  I won't go any further because just typing about it makes my blood pressure rise.

Thursday was a normal play day for us.  I had a Relief Society activity in the evening where different sisters shared their ideas on ways to improve meal planning, finances, cleaning, and several other areas.  I presented ways to meal plan.  I realized how far I have come in my ability to cook and also do it on a budget.  Cooking is a skill that I am very grateful to have!

The weekend hit without any excitement.  Tim spent a lot of time working on case reports and things I don't quite understand that go along with submitting to journals.  I made breakfast for dinner and it was German pancakes.  I have never had/made them.  I was surprised at how easy it was and it was really tasty.  I thought they tasted like a thick crepe, but Tim said it was more like flan.  Either way, Hyrum gobbled it up and asked for thirds.


Sunday, we made a visit to some friends.  They are elderly and the husband was recently diagnosed with cancer.  It was in the late stages when they found it, so they have decided to not treat it but make him comfortable in his final weeks/months.  I personally think Hyrum is good for him.  He just seems to light up and is always watching Hyrum as he does his high energy thing.  He always comments on how Hyrum is a busy guy and how he wishes he had that much energy...don't we all.

Tim and I did a room rearrangement.  Hyrum is all boy and I spend a large part of the day getting on him to not climb or jump on things.  We changed furniture around, so he can't vault over the couch, which he has come close to doing.  So far this morning it has been good and he has been enjoying the big open space to play.

I think that is all...at least what I can remember.  I am really excited for St. Patrick's Day.  It is one of my favorites and Tim and I celebrate our anniversary on that day because it is the day we started dating.  It's also an easier time of year, because Christmas is so busy.  Any way, have a great week and watch out for those leprechauns!

Comments