Spring Break and Easter!

It was a hard start to our Spring break.  Hyrum was sick or recovering. He stayed home from church last Sunday, because he had been running a fever and had a terrible cough.  We did take him to a memorial service for a brother in our ward that passed away.  Before they changed our ward boundaries we always sat in front of an elderly couple.  The husband served in WWII and was a little hard of hearing...okay...he couldn't hear anything!.  If you keep up with reading weekly, you may recall stories about a brother saying in a not so quiet voice, "I can't hear anything," or "Are they done yet?"  We loved Brother Owens!  He was always so kind and gentle with Hyrum and wanted to hold his hand or play with him.  We found out about a month ago that he had stage 4 cancer and his time was short.  We were able to take Hyrum over a couple of times to visit.  It was a sad occasion, but I did feel the spirit very strongly that those who have passed to the other side are close by and very interested what is happening on this side of the veil.

The rest of the week was not so sobering, and we were able to spend some time together as a family.  We did change Hyrum's seat to face forward.  It was a pretty big occasion and it's a whole new experience every time he gets in the car, now that he can see out the windows.  He is pretty pumped about the changes.


Tim spent every day working on school stuff.  That "stuff" ranged from trying to get applications ready for away rotations, trying to find more research, and organizing fourth year schedules.  Tim gets to choose when he will do rotations and take time off, which is really exciting to think that we are there!

Hyrum and I stayed close to home.  Except for on Tuesday and then I really decided to stay home...more on that in a bit.  He did better every day, but he still had a terrible cough and runny nose.  I thought it best just to try to avoid everyone, even if he was contagious. Now for Tuesday.  I had been assigned to drop off some Easter lilies to some sisters in our ward and I thought I would just take Hyrum with me as it would be just a quick drop off.  Well, we were almost there when from the back I hear Hyrum getting sick to his stomach, then the crying, and the smell.  I pulled over as quickly as I could, but that is hard in Houston.  I didn't really have anything to clean him up, so we just did our best and kept the windows rolled down.  I was debating on whether or not to just turn around, but we were just a couple of streets away, so I quickly dropped off the flowers and we went home to get Hyrum cleaned up and I spent much of the rest of the day trying to clean up his poor car seat. I am happy to report that the smell is gone, thanks to mom's suggestion of baking soda.

Wednesday was a rain day.  We had a really intense thunderstorm the night before that rocked the apartment.  I woke both Tim and I up, which usually I don't hear storms.  Thankfully, Hyrum slept and we made it!  The pollen has been terrible recently.  The car was covered in a fine yellow dust.  I decided that I needed to clean it off.  So, I went out a couple of times when it was raining and washed off the car.  It looked great for a few days, but the pollen dust in starting to build again.

We decided to go visit Tim's parent's over the weekend, which was a lot of fun.  We left Saturday morning, because Tim was able to work with a dermatologist for part of the day on Friday.  We made great time and were able to spend time with Tim's parents and Stephen and Jessica (one of Tim's brothers).  Hyrum loved playing with his baby cousin Colton.  Tim and I were curious to see how he would react to us holding and playing with Colton.  He did surprisingly well and I feel like we have some ideas of what we can do when baby #2 comes home to make sure Hyrum feels loved.


Random stop, but I am doing fine.  I just barely started wearing maternity clothes and I forgot how much better I feel when I don't have a waistband pressing down on my waist.  I reached 18 weeks and it is crazy to think is a couple of weeks I will be half way.  The time has gone by so fast with this one...perhaps because I know more of what to expect.

Tim and I decided to split our time with Hyrum during the sessions of conference.  I would take and hour and Tim would take an hour.  It worked well and I feel like at least I was able to listen and focus like I did pre-Hyrum.  We went on walks, played with chalk, went to a playground (where the evil allergy monster attacked Tim), played with a toy scooter and a toy lawn mower, and Hyrum's favorite was digging.  He was also was able to help grandpa water the garden.  I was surprised that he held the hose for as long. 

Now more on General Conference...holy smokes!  You couldn't miss any session!  I felt like every time it was my turn to listen Tim would say, "So, they changed (insert any number of crazy changes) and someone is going to talk more about it...you should hurry and take good notes for me."  There were so many exciting changes that I think will help me and everyone else rethink how we have always done things, but most importantly how we can be more like the Savior. 

Tim and I were listening specifically for things we were asked to do.  There were so many great things we heard that we can do to help us draw closer to the Lord.  I also feel like I heard so many great ways can help Hyrum come to know the Savior and learn that obedience over time is what will protect us.  So many of the talks discussed ways we can establish the pattern of obedience and what we can to do protect him from all the craziness in the world.  I feel like I really, really need to go back and read everything again, because I am sure there was so much that I missed.

And I must say President Nelson has a flare for the drama!  How about that end to Conference...land sakes!

Comments