We should get an award!

We survived the week!  I can't remember how much I have said in past blogs and I haven't taken the time to review them, so sorry if you are hearing this again.  We have had some issues with Lila and projectile vomiting.  There are also some other issues that were concerning like her breathing and congestion and the fact that her hiccups seemed to be very painful.  The doctor recommended a plan of action that started with me going off dairy and an ultrasound for Lila and ended with baby Zantac.  let's start our week from here.

Last week mom had asked how if was to be off dairy.  My response was that it wasn't that bad.  I really don't drink much milk and I figured cheese would be easy to just leave out and I don't really like yogurt.  Those were the main foods the doctor said to cut and we should be able to see enough of a change to make a dairy allergy diagnosis.  Monday I decided it wasn't so easy or tasty.  One of our go to breakfasts is oatmeal.  I have a variety of homemade recipes that I pull from.  The only downside is the key ingredient is milk.  I decided to try it with water.  Hyrum and I dubbed it the nasty oatmeal.  Brown sugar didn't help.  We choked it down and haven't tried it since.  It seemed as the week progressed that I was saying no to a lot more foods than I anticipated.  By the weekend I was making different meals for myself and the boys...not cool and way more complicated than I like to make cooking.

Lila had some really hard days of fussiness, not sleeping well, and vomiting.  I do sound dramatic, so I want to clarify that despite the hard days, we had seem some improvements, just not enough to be convinced that what we were currently doing was making enough of a difference to help Lila.  After struggling all week I got a call from Tim while I was at a presidency meeting on Thursday.  I heard screaming in the background and starting packing my bag.  Thankfully, the meeting was held in our complex so I was a short walk away.  I made a call to the doctor first thing in the morning to get approval to start the baby Zantac. 

She has been on the medication for three days and I think we are seeing some improvements.  She doesn't sound congested, breathing is better, and we haven't had any vomit.  As well, the hiccups seem to be less painful and we have even gone some feedings without hiccups.  If we make it through next week with stable improvements I am going to call it a success.  I am going to stay off dairy for one more week and go back on and see if there are any negative effects for Lila.

And so...we should be awarded some reflux survival medal, because it's no fun at all.  I'm not sure how other's have survived, because Lila's case wasn't nearly as severe as it can be and I was at the end of my rope!

Lest you believe that our life was complete misery this week, we did have some fun times.  Tim took Hyrum to visit the policemen at the Night of with the Police.  It's a yearly activity to build the police-community connection.  It is always fun for Hyrum and this time he got a sweet frisbee.

Tim had successful week studying for his next STEP exam.  He didn't manage to make it out the door as early as he wanted, because of some really hard nights with Lila.  He spent his days studying and his nights helping at home.  It is really nice to have an extra pair of hands to help with bath and bedtime.  I am grateful that Lila will be older by the time Tim starts residency.  He won't be around much and it will be easier (I think) with an older child.

Hyrum had his first official preschool.  They did the letter D again, so he was a pro.  The report I got from the mom that was in charge was that he loved to play in the toy kitchen, he was really good at sharing when he knew that was what he was supposed to do, he is the youngest child but the best talker, and he does not like to do crafts.  He didn't do any of the crafts, so I brought them home and we did them.  He drew Tim's face (look at the green).  I was really surprised at how he put on the eyes nose and mouth.  He also helped be put the dog together.  I have since pulled out markers, crayons, and color pencils and left them on his table.  He has done a really good job of keeping things has his table.  Hopefully, more access with help him be more engaged with coloring and crafts.
 


We, meaning Tim and I, were excited for Conference.  We enjoyed listening to what we could, because between trying to entertain Hyrum and Lila to sleep we missed a lot of talks.  Poor Elder Anderson didn't get any attention because we had to change not one, not two, but three dirty diapers.

Hyrum listened for about the first five minutes.  We have been teaching him about the prophet and apostles and it was fun to see him react to seeing them on TV.  I wish we lived in Utah because it would have been fun to see them in person.  Hands on experiences take learning to a whole new level.  But, the TV was a good second.  After the five minutes he wasn't interested.  I guess that is okay, because it took me 18 years to like conference.

And for your enjoyment.  Hyrum and I had some fun on the phone.  He is getting so good at understanding emotions and moods.  Sometimes it's not good, especially when he calls Tim or myself out for being angry.  Yeah...parenting fail.  Lila's picture is proof that we are adjusting because she is wearing something other than pajamas!  Now that is a mom win if there ever was one.  Oh, and remember how my one life goal was to brush my teeth before 11 am.  Well, I think I need up it to actually getting ready for my day...no more gym shorts.  Well, maybe I'll wear gym shorts a couple of days a week.  They're just so comfortable!  I'm not sure what happened but somewhere between 6-9 months of pregnancy I stopped really getting ready for my day.  Tim always knew when I had errands or an appointment, because I put on real pants and that didn't happen very much.

 Here's to getting back to normal!

Comments