What we learned!

 This was a learning week.  We all learned new things...some difficult and some funny.  Hyrum started off the week learning that going potty in the toilet really does get you a treat.  We have been talking about using the toilet with Hyrum for a really long time.  There has also been a box of fruit snacks sitting on the top of our fridge for a while.  We keep telling him that if he uses the toilet he will get a treat.  We finally had a win!  He told us that he needed to use the potty while he was talking a bath and he was able to get a treat.  Not sure it was the best to give him sugar so late, but we did.  I'm just so darn proud!  Now if we can just get him to do it again.

Hyrum also learned that he prefers to eat corn over acorns.  He decided that he needed to try the acorns that are falling all over the playground and parking lot.  He informed us promptly that he doesn't like acorns.  He also also learned the difference between bear and bare.  I told him he could go outside in his bare feet, and he informed me that he likes his boy feet, not bear feet.  

Hyrum continues to learn his letters.  We missed preschool this week...more on that later.  And Hyrum has learned that he LOVES to play with friends.  He likes to go outside in search of friends to play with.  He may not actually play with them, but he likes to find them.

Speaking of friends.  I learned one of my friends is going back to China.  Her husband was here to further his education and now they are ready to go home.  She leaves really soon.  Our kids are only a couple of months apart.  Hyrum would play with her oldest.  He was probably Hyrum's first friend.  It's sad to see her go, but they are on to bigger and better things.


I also learned that sometimes you just have to give things up.  I have been trying to get Hyrum out more to play with people, which we did really well this week playing with other kids.  One of those ways to have him participate in a co op preschool with a few other kids from church.  Lila is on reflux medication, but she is still making some big messes.  One of those messes happened a few minutes before we were supposed to leave for preschool.  I was rushing around trying to clean everything up so we could go, but just realized that there was no way we were going to make it.  I also learned to not tell Hyrum where we are going before hand, because if we have to cancel it's hard on both of us.  It's best to let it be an awesome surprise if we can do fun things.  

Another thing I learned is that I am much more engaged in life when I am off social media.  I didn't think I had I problem before...I really didn't because I was hardly on, but after a week of not glancing through Facebook and Pinterest I have discovered that I social media was a crutch to fill time.  I especially use it when I am nursing or doing other menial tasks.  I can fill time with other things like the reading the Book of Mormon, which I have made a lot of progress for just one week.  If I keep it up who knows how fast I will finish with all of the time I have to dedicate to Lila.

Tim learned this week that he has a second interview for his preliminary year of medical school.  He will interview at Baylor here in Houston, another really good school for doing a prelim year.  We are hoping to get a few more interviews in the next couple of weeks and then Dermatology interviews should start coming in.  Tim continues to relearn facts he has spent the last three years learning in preparation for the next STEP.  Once he finishes it in in November, he won't have any other tests or big exams for Medical School.  He will have so much free time he won't know what to do with himself!

And Lila...dear Lila learned she really can survive in this world...at least for a month.  She turned one month this week.  Props to me for actually remembering to take a picture.  She is growing like crazy, especially after her growth spurt this week.  She is out of newborn and most of her 0-3 month clothes.  She also surprised us with some genuine smiles with eye contact.  I'm not positive she was looking at us, but I am going to keep telling myself.  Hopefully, in the next week or two she will perk up even more and start playing for more than two seconds.

Oh, and some of you may be thinking how cute the bow is and thinking..."Man, Whitney was really on top of it!"  Don't. Be. Fooled.  I totally grabbed a bow two seconds before the picture and then promptly took it off afterwards.  I have a feeling that when her hair is a little longer a new life goal will be to fix her hair every day...that or shave it off until she is a little older.  Speaking of life goals...I was successful for most of the week with actually getting ready for the day.  I am even wearing church clothes today and I didn't go to church.

And one final picture I thought was cute.  Hyrum saw us taking a picture of Lila and decided that he wanted a picture too.  We got this gem!  Hyrum is huge compared to Lila.  It's amazing how much a kid can grow in 2.5 years.  


Oh, I also learned that one thing the kids have in common is neither will look at the camera.  Curses!

Comments