Preschool, hurricanes, birthdays, and walking!

It was a great week for us!  I think for simplicity I am just going to go by the day of the week.  We started off with a holiday on Monday.  Tim had it off since his rotation was an out patient.  We went to one of the hospitals that we works at to eat lunch.  Hyrum has wanted to see where Tim works, so he got his wish.  Probably the most memorable part was his watermelon MinuteMaid.  We had to pace him on the drink.  He LOVED it!  After lunch we went over to a river walk.  There was a really nice paved, mostly shaded trail that ended at a playground.  We all enjoyed it.  


Because of naps, I decided to take Lila back to the car and drive to get Hyrum and Tim, so the boys could play for a little longer.  Everything was perfect until I got to the car and realized that Tim had the keys.  So, I gave him and call and I guess Hyrum ran the whole mile plus to rescue us.  Judging by his red face I would say he did.  We got in the car and headed home, upon taking Lila out of the car I realized that I left her shoes in the parking lot.  I had taken them off to play with her feet and forgot to get them with all the excitement from our rescue.  I zoomed back to the parking lot and found them right where I left them.  Tim took Hyrum swimming after I got back while Lila was asleep.  We decided to do paninis (grilled sandwhiches) for dinner.  I managed to slice my finger open.  It was a good thing that Tim and Hyrum came back because I needed a little help.  It wasn't too bad, but it took a while to stop bleeding and it wasn't easy to fix dinner with one hand.

Monday was a great day, minus all of my issues.

Tuesday brought Preschool!  Hyrum has been asking when he was going to start and he got his wish!  I decided to just do a letter a week with practicing the upper and lowercase letters.  I figured we could speed things up with we needed to and do two if he enjoyed it and picked things up.  This week was "A" and we make apple crisp.  He enjoyed making the crisp and liked eating it even more.


Lila has been taking steps for several weeks now, but by Wednesday I felt we officially had a walker.  We haven't been able to get more than a few and we initiated most of the walking.  Things finally clicked and she started standing up and letting go to walk on her own.  We also did some final shopping preparation for the hurricane.  I had been keeping and eye on it all week and it didn't look like we were going to get much of anything, but I wanted to be prepared just in case.  I will forever be comparing hurricanes to Harvey, so when they said 3-5 inches I didn't sweat it.  Harvey dumped 60+ inches. 

Thursday-Friday early morning was hurricane day for us.  There was just a little bit of rain and there was some wind, but I slept through it.  One of Hyrum's library books had a submarine in it and he has been interested in submarines this week.  He constructed a sub to play in which included a periscope and whole to climb through to get in.  He also got a cold which didn't last very long.  But, a sick child is never fun.

Friday we spent a lot of time outside collecting sticks...notice the size.  Hurricanes bring the best ones!  Hyrum accumulated quite the pile.  I'm not sure if grounds will love or hate us for his pile.  He had fun and was entertained, so I was happy.


Saturday was a normal home day for us.  The buses don't start until later, so Tim had the car.  He got to deal with all the parking and traffic for game day.  UNC is big on their football and there isn't much parking.  He was pretty exhausted by the end of the week.  He is on pulmonary for three weeks.  The patients are all complicated and Tim doesn't feel like he knows much about the different sicknesses.  He doesn't get time at all to do any research, because of all the interruptions.  He was glad when Sunday came because he needed a break.

Magically, we had him on Sunday.  This is the first time he has had a Sunday off during an in patient rotation.  He joined us at church and did our normal things at church.  Oh, we provided bread for the sacrament.  They didn't have any, so I ran home and got a loaf.  Thank goodness I backed some the night before!  I was really glad he was home today, because I got Hyrum's cold.  I didn't sleep well last night and just felt rotten today.  I was able to get a nap in after church.  Because Tim had the day off, we decided to celebrate Lila's birthday today.  We didn't do anything fancy...she had no clue what was going on.  She did get her first treat.  I made chocolate banana muffins.  She really didn't know what to do with it.  She got a few nibbles in before just playing with it.  Not quite the response we had from Hyrum when he got his first treat.  I was able to snap this beauty.  This is probably the best picture I've been able to get of her and will probably be the best of another year or two.  

 After getting cleaned up, she opened presents.  I should add that Hyrum was pumped for Lila's birthday.  He understands treats and presents, which he still calls presidents.  After his bath, he went to get all the presents and cards.  He lined them up on the couch and wanted to be the one to help Lila open her gifts, it was cute.  Lila loved the cards and wrapping paper.  She gave a cursory look at the gifts, but went searching for the paper...even in the trash.  Speaking of which she has discovered the wonders of the trash.  We have to be careful now because she likes to go through the garbage looking for treasures...the yuckier the better.  She also discovered that she can reach the counter top.  She's tall, but I didn't think we were to that stage yet.  I usually just set things on the counter so she can't reach them, but several times this week I found her with things that I was positive I set up high and sure enough she gets on those toes and reaches for all she's worth.  I think she might have a little bit of the force as well.

So, that's all from us!  We have a date at the library tomorrow and walking adventures planned!

Comments