Leaves, Conference and Injuries!

It feels like Fall!  We were in the 90's for most of the week, but on Saturday we were in the low 70's.  It felt so cool in crisp in the morning.  It made me super happy.  We experienced some Fall type weather in Houston, but it typically happened in January.  For the next week they are predicting weather in the 70's, so it should make for so great weather during Tim's week off.

We are very excited for Tim to have the whole week off.  Their weeks run from Monday to Monday, so he has one more day in the hospitals.  This rotation was a challenge.  He spent lots of time working on paperwork.  It seems to occupy much of his time.  There has been lots of turnover, which means lots of paperwork.  He also had his first patient pass away.  It wasn't unexpected, but it was his first.  Tim had lots of late nights, so the kids didn't get to see him much. 

Hyrum is into Fall.  He asks if it is Fall and I tell him yes, but know I can show him proof because all the leaves and pine needles are falling or turning colors.  He enjoys throwing and kicking leaves, and there is no shortage.  He continues to enjoy learning.  He has started "writing" in his own journal.  It's just scribbles, but it is a great milestone.  This week he made up a new game...sleeping bag.  It's probably my favorite game.  He spreads blankets on the floor and we get in them and snuggle.  If only the rest of his games could be this way.

Lila started off the week with an almost emergency room visit.  Our tubs are very slippery and an odd size.  We have a mat in the tub, but it doesn't cover the whole tub.  She slipped on the one part that wasn't covered (I went out the next day and bought a second mat).  It looked like she bit through her lip, but she may have just cut both sides with her top and bottom teeth.  Once we got her calmed down and the bleeding to the point that we could look, Tim reached out to his med peds friends.  We decided to not go in and it ended up being a good choice, as it is healing nicely and isn't bothering her.  She will probably have a little scar, but she would have had one with or without stitches.

She is really improving her book skills.  I am impressed with how well she turns paper pages.  I still watch her like a hawk, but she can turn the corns smoothly.  I am always amazed at the differences between Lila and Hyrum.  Lila's fine motor skills are much better than Hyrum's ever were at this age.  

I have also noticed her understanding commands.  I will tell her to got get a book and she will.  As well as going to her chair and bringing other toys.  She also has started going over to the door to tell me she wants to go out.  I have also noticed her starting to imitate me.  She will grab kitchen stuff while I am cooking, dust, pull out clothes from the dryer and then put them back, and she comes over to help put things away like stacking books or putting things in containers.  Now if I could just get Hyrum to help so willingly.  

Hyrum is a fantastic helper when he wants to.  Some days he will get get dressed, make his bed, do his hair and teeth, help with putting the dishes away, cleaning up, setting the table and anything else that he normally does.  Other days it's like I'm speaking another language.

I ran errands with the kids and had two play dates with other families this week.  I was also planning ahead and preparing for Conference.  I knew I was going to be solo for every session or close to it.  I was nicely surprised at how much I was actually able to listen.  There were times when I was all focused on the kids, but I was pleased.  I felt the spirit and was able to receive some impressions that I am excited to focus on in the next few months.  They enjoyed watching the TV.  Any time the choir would sing Lila would start waving her hands like she was directing.  She does that at church.  I raided the Dollar Store and found some dinosaur stickers.  Hyrum enjoyed putting them all over himself.  I was a dollar well spent for 30 minutes of peace.  We also picked up a huge stack of books from the library that served to entertain him.  Lila discovered a cereal box in the recycling that kept her entertained for a couple of sessions.  She would carry it around putting different things in it and moving the box to different locations.  I say you go girl!    


We are very excited for next week.  I have a list of things we are going to try to do both routine things and fun.  Hopefully I will remember to take pictures.

Comments