Creativity!

I think this week can best be described by everyone getting in touch with their inner creativity whether from art, music, or the mind.  By everyone, I mean the kids.  Tim has a creative bone, but it's been asleep since residency started and I just don't have one.

The week started off really warm with several days in the 70's.  We tried to get out every day and do some bike riding or walking.  By Thursday, the temperature was dropping into the 40's.  Tim missed pretty much all the weather....and the sun.  He leaves before the sun is up and usually gets home after the sun in down.  He has one more day of the ICU and he is ready to be done.  Patients were complicated, families were complicated, and it just a complicated service!

We didn't do much until Tuesday.  Tuesday we made it to the library for story time.  Hyrum enjoyed preschool, but he is getting spring fever.  He wasn't as focused or willing to participate.  I have things switched up again for next week, so we will see out it goes.  We are talking about weather this month and he got to make some lightning with glitter.  He was super pumped.  We also had our first music class.  The lady that runs it did a great job.  Hyrum loved beating on the drums and doing the vocal play.  There was a lot of free expression, which Hyrum is very good at. 

On a colder day, we went to Kidzu.  I finally convinced Hyrum to go into the art/creativity section.  He has been into creating machines for awhile and when I suggested he check it out, he gave me this look that said, "I don't know if I trust you that this is going to be as fun for me as think it will be."  He then asked if he could make a helicopter.  One of the workers said sure and he was hooked.  We were digging through scraps to find all the right parts and this is what we came up with.  You can't see the tail with the second rotor (I think that's what it's called...maybe), but it is there, because Hyrum insisted that we had to find a way to hook it on.

Sunday was Tim's day off and a great day for Hyrum.  We started off making a nice breakfast and quality dad time.  We didn't have any tantrums and we were out the door on time.  I'm not sure how it got to this, but we ended up walking half way to church with Tim and I holding Lila's hands and Hyrum holding Tim and my hands so that we were walking in a circle with Hyrum walking backwards.  I'm sure people passing us thought we were crazy, but it made for a good laugh.  Hyrum went right to primary.  Apparently, it was his day to do the scripture.  One of the sisters in the presidency sent this picture and said that he did great.  It sounds like he said it with gusto and feeling in true Hyrum fashion.  I was bummed to miss it, but glad it went well.  I happened to be in the hall with my class during transition.  I caught is eye to wave, but he gave me a serious look and said that he needed to go to his other class.  When I picked him up, his teacher told me he sang to them about his testimony.  I guess it was really funny and if it was like any of his other evangelizing songs, it was a doozy.  


Lila is a gem.  This week she was into hugs and giggles.  She has always been a hugger.  I can frequently be found hugging her while trying to push the cart while shopping.  She just opens her arms to signal a hug.  She was also into coloring and playing kitchen.  I keep both containers up high because she likes to color on things other than paper and put kitchen toys in places they shouldn't be, like the trash.  She is getting really good a communicating what she wants.  She runs over to the shelf and will start pointing and making sounds like color and kitchen.  She is getting more expressive with both.  She really enjoyed music time.  Her favorite part was dancing with the ribbon wands.  It was super cute to watch her bounce and wave it.  She also started playing with dress-up clothes.  The pink hat is her favorite.  She is also getting really good at using a spoon/fork to eat.  She still gets super messy, but food was getting to her mouth!

I was along for the ride with both kids.  I don't have any projects other than working through some church history in preparation for General conference.  I have also been reading a book about priesthood and women that is really interesting.  Along the way, I get some chuckles in.  I'll end with a quote and a story.  I'm not sure where it came from, but Hyrum was washing his sticky apple fingers off and said, "Mom, to get super sticky stuff off do you need soap, water, stingrays, and bugs?"  My response, "Probably not stingrays and definitely not bugs."

And a story brought to you by dear, cute Lila.  It's a good thing she is so cute.  She has discovered how to open things that Hyrum never did like all my flour and sugar containers.  She takes the whole lid off.  Well, earlier this week I was finishing up Hyrum's bath and came into the kitchen to find her sitting on the floor with the powdered sugar lid off, sticking her fingers in and licking said fingers off.  Once she figures something out she gets stuck on it.  I found her hands in the sugar several more times this week.  I just know that I can't let her out of my sight, because she will do something that she isn't supposed to like shake her milk out of her cup EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Any who...here's to another week!

Comments