Happy New Year!

 I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but it feels like 2020 started months ago.  We were talking about schedules and Tim felt like it has been forever since he has had a break (I feel the same), even though he has only been back for a week.  Tim was working and both kids were in bed on New Years Eve, so the the only celebrating at our house was done by me.  I celebrated by making a curry dish that I really like for dinner and then went to bed, because I was tired.  I am discovering that Tim and I are super lame celebrators...not that, that should come as a surprise.   It's a new year and the kids are still young, so perhaps there is hope for us yet.

Back to Tim.  He pulled some serious hours. He had a nine day stretch with no breaks in the ICU.  He worked about 115 hours during that time.  It may not seem like a lot compared to some programs, but UNC is pretty strict about their hours and having  at least one day off every seven days.  The kids didn't get to see him much and the days when he made it home were exciting.  He has another two weeks in the cardiac ICU, which will not be pleasant.  Due to scheduling he has to drive the car instead of the bus and park really far away and run to the hospital.  I guess the good thing is he gets to run two miles every day.

We had the car a couple of days this week, so did some adventuring.  Monday we ran some errands and ended the day at a local playground.  There were a lot of kids there playing so Hyrum had a blast running around.  Unfortunately, he started chasing a girl that didn't want to be chased and tripped her.  He has yet to learn that just because he wants to play with someone doesn't mean they want to play with him.  We also started Come Follow Me with Hyrum.  He has really enjoyed it so far and I have enjoyed working with him.  We also started some bucket activities with Hyrum.  We have both done our scripture reading in the morning during Lila's nap, but now that she isn't napping it is hard to focus.  I have some bucket activities that he can choose from while Lila plays with a baby gate dividing them.  I have a little bit of time to read and I will slip in with Hyrum and do some reading with him too.  It's worked great so far.

Tuesday a friend from the ward invited us to go to trail that was near our apartment.  I had no idea it was there.  She ended up not being able to go, so we walked over to check it out and it was awesome!  We will definitely be going again and I already have spring plans for a picnic in a nice little meadow that we found.  It's a double win, because we can get there on foot.  After, spending some time in the forest, we ended up walking to a friend's house to help with moving some furniture.  Hyrum and Lila played with the other kids, while the adults worked.  Hyrum was pretty tired walking home, but he made it.  As previously stated, Tim and I are super lame and we didn't do anything to bring in the New Year.


Wednesday we stayed at home.  Thursday was another errands day.  We went to story time at the library in the morning.  We haven't gone in a while due to Lila's naps, but as of this week she has pretty much dropped her morning nap.  She loved it and Hyrum always loves stories, so it was a great experience.  Our library has a day for younger kids and a day for older kids.  I think we are going to try to go twice on the weeks that we have a car, just so each kid gets to enjoy stories and songs geared towards their age.  After nap, we went grocery shopping.

Friday and Saturday we were at home and inside because it was raining.  During a break in the rain I forced Hyrum to go on a wagon ride for our sanity (mostly mine).  He was not happy the whole time complaining about how he wanted to stay closer to our apartment, until the very end when we turned the corner and he realized we were almost home.  Then he jumped out of the wagon and decided that we wanted to pull Lila the rest of the way.

Sunday was Tim's day off.  We all got to enjoy kind of sleeping in, because church starts at 10:30 this year.  By kind of I mean we were not rushing around trying to get ready, because who really gets to sleep in when you have young kids.  I snapped this picture to try to get Lila's hair in.  It was the first time I was able to pull it all the way back.  You can't tell, but she has two little pig tails.  I think she looks very grown up.  I think she is also going through a growth spurt or getting ready.  Why do I suspect you might ask?  Well, my arm muscles are killing me and she has an impressive food baby (a.k.a a big belly).  Both kids actually have been packing away the food.  And speaking of Lila's belly she can now identify her belly.  She does this by pulling up her shirt and pointing to her stomach.  It's really funny.      

Today marked the first day of sunbeams for Hyrum.  He was pumped to go.  He walked right into primary, went to his row, found a seat and sat down not giving us a second look.  It was reminiscent of nursery...he never looked back and had a blast.  I heard good reports from leaders, so we will see if he can keep it up for another 51 Sundays.  Lila has about 8 more Sundays and she will be in nursery.

That's about it for us! 

Comments