A week back!

It's hard to believe we have only been back for a week.  It's been an adjustment for all and as I write and remember that it has only been one week, it gives me hope for a smoother upcoming week.  There were lots of funny moments mixed with very frustrating ones.

Tim was back at work on Tuesday.  The clinic is picking up as the hospital is now accepting patients in the clinic in additional to telephone and video visits.  Tim saw a lot of individuals that had been waiting to visit the doctor since before covid.  The hospital is also up and running as far as elective surgeries and what I would consider "regular" hospital stuff.  North Carolina still has another 2 1/2 weeks of quarantine, but hopefully hospitals getting up and running is a sign that we'll be able to get out more.  Tim will be on a cancer service for the next two weeks and then he will be an official 2nd year resident, a.k.a an upper level.

Last week I talked about how the kids are now sharing a bedroom.  Bedtime is really very smooth with them falling asleep without much issue.  It's the morning that is driving me crazy!  Hyrum is adjusting to being quiet, keeping lights off, closing doors, and the list goes on.  Poor Lila had some very early mornings, which made for grouchy kids and a grouchy mama.  Today, Hyrum woke up at 5:30 to use the bathroom and was never able to fall back asleep. He ended up opening his curtains to look outside and saw a deer.  His excitement was too much to contain so he woke everyone up, including his poor sister. I am crossing my fingers that everyone's sleep schedule will even out by the end of next week and the rules will be remembered.

Perhaps my favorite moment of the week was beauty shop.  Sometimes the kids like to get out combs and brushes to "fix" my hair.  Well, Tim got included as a customer this time.  It was really funny to watch the kids comb his hair.  Lila pretty much claimed Tim and wouldn't allow Hyrum much hair time.  What a good dad!

Lila's vocabulary continues to increase.  She practices and learns so many words every day that I can't keep track.  I think my favorite new word is rice.  She replaces the /r/ with a /w/ sound and it is really cute.  She has plenty of energy to keep up with Hyrum and a personality to fit it.  Case and point...she chose her very pink outfit.

We spent a lot of time outside this week playing and at the forest across from our complex (the Pumpkin Loop).  The temperature is heating up, but it isn't too bad.  Any time I think to complain, I just remember where we were two weeks ago in Texas and count my blessings.  Hyrum has been introducing Lila to the wonders of sticks, but I think she is more of a dirt and rock girl.  She will play with sticks for a bit, but is easily distracted by some dirt or a big rock. 

Hyrum will be participating in an online preschool next year.  The company started in Utah but is piloting in North Carolina this coming year so he will get to do some online work.  He doesn't really understand it yet, but he seemed excited when we told him.  It will be interesting to see how he does and if he will maintain excitement. 

My week was filled with ups and downs.  I found out that my grandfather passed earlier this week.  It's been difficult, but we've had some really great conversations with Hyrum about the plan of salvation that have helped to strengthen my testimony and process our loss.  The lack of sleep made everyone grouchy.  Apparently, I am the worst or so Hyrum declared to Tim one morning.  "Dad, mom is really grouchy in the morning."  I keep thinking that someday I'll get payback. 

Both kids got to run errands with me this week.  The tires needed to be rotated.  I tried on Monday, while Tim was home, but they told me it was a 4.5 hour wait and I said I would come back another day.  We got some funny looks from customers as the kids and I showed up to get the tires done.  Hyrum was excited, and full of questions about the different tools they would use on the car.  We also went to the grocery store.  It was the first time they had been since March.  Hyrum was a champ and wore a mask the whole time.  I may have bribed him with a treat, but it worked.  While there Hyrum shouted, "Look mom!  There's kids!"  Poor kid hasn't seen enough kids to suit his social nature.  Covid has been rough!

Here's to another week!

 

Comments