Independence Day Celebrations!

We hope everyone had a wonderful time celebrating and remembering what makes our country so great!  I'll start the post off with our celebrations as it was the highlight of our week.  We chose to celebrate on Friday instead of Saturday, so Tim could join.  I hadn't gone shopping for over a week due to Tim having the car, so I went in the morning.  There were long lines at the store, which I hadn't seen in a long time.  Luckily, I was in the shade waiting and the wait wasn't that long.  

Our official festivities started with snack.  I made a little red, white, and blue snack plate for us to share.  The kids enjoyed it, with Hyrum being the most vocal about his excitement.  I found some mango, peach salsa that everyone including the kids enjoyed.  

After snack, I got to work on prepping everything for our dinner.  We got permission to use the fire pit at our church, so we roasted hot dogs and made banana boats for snack.  Lila was all over the place moving plates, trying to get close to the fire, touching the meat, and being a general busy body.  She can be a great help, but sometimes I just want to strap her down, so she can't move anything!  Our wagon made transport super easy and Lila decided that she wanted to push, which was very reminiscent of Hyrum pushing the wagon home everyday from daycare.

 After dinner and dessert, we went home to grab the fireworks.  Neither of the kids had any experience with them.  We've just never bought any for Hyrum and Lila has been too little.  Well, they were a hit with both kids.  I was surprised at how well Lila did.  Mind you we had extremely kid friendly firecrackers.  They had tons of fun throwing the poppers. 

Sparklers were also a hit.  We had a few older neighbor kids come and watch.  One of them tried the sparklers.  It was just fun to see their excitement.  We ended the evening with a couple of smaller aerial fireworks.  They were more showy than I thought and well worth the reaction. 

The rest of the week was much less exciting.  We were able to be outside every day this week playing.  Lila has really gotten the hang of her push tricycle and enjoys cruising in the parking lot.  Hyrum just loves to run and be crazy.  Crazy is what he spends most of his day being, that and creative.

Case and point.  We had Hawaiian haystacks for dinner this week and decided that he was going to scuba dive in Hawaii.  He spent quite a bit of time jumping around the family room into the "water."  He kept trying to get me to swim with him, but I opted to stay on the couch which I turned into a submarine.

Both kids have had a chance to feel the baby move.  Lila doesn't get it, but Hyrum is always full of questions.  He has been planning the baby's party for when we come home for the hospital.  It's fun to see him excited about it.  Speaking of the baby we are almost at 23 weeks.  This one seems to be more active than the last time.  I thought Lila was my mover, but this one wins hands down.  I will go in next week to find out gender...hopefully.  This will be our last ultrasound, so if he/she doesn't cooperate, we might be doing a gender reveal from the hospital.  Besides trying to keep up with the kids, I have plans in the coming week to do some food experimenting.  The kids and I are going to try making some flat bread.  We'll use them for gyros, so hopefully things turn out, because I don't have a backup.

Tim had a hard week of long days.  He has one more day left in Raleigh and then he will be back at UNC.  We hoped he would have a couple of days off because he was backup for the covid team for three days.  Unfortunately, he was notified today that he will be working nights to cover for a resident that was exposed.  He only has seven days of nights and then he will have his week off to recover from Raleigh and nights.  Lest you believe that he is all work and no play...     

Tim came home earlier this week and said, "You remember how I told you that WakeMed has random Foosball tournaments?  Yeah, they had one.  I beat everyone."  Yep...thank you medical school. 

I'll end with one more funny story.  We do smoothies a lot during the summer.  On one day this week I had a bunch of random stuff that needed to go.  Hyrum always watches me make smoothies, because he loves them.  Well, two of the ingredients this week were spinach and yogurt.  I was promptly informed that I should not put yogurt or lettuce in the smoothie any more.  I just had to shake my head because he has had spinach a lot and has never had an issue and you really couldn't taste the yogurt...punk.

Any way.  Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.  Cross your fingers there will be a gender announcement next week! 

Comments