Rain, rain go away!

It was another long rainy week.  We just can't seem to get away from the rain.  The weather excitement of the week occurred at the end of the week.  The state pretty much shut down because we were expecting freezing rain.  They were predicting power outages and icy roads.  Well, we woke up on Friday to plain old rain.  It was plenty cold, but not cold enough to cause any trouble other than the bus system shutting down just in case.  Our funny story comes from our "icy" weather.  We were discussing freezing rain with Hyrum and he was excited for ice.  Well, I ran outside really fast to move the car to a location with less trees (large branches tend to fall frequently).  I came back in and Hyrum said that he tried the ice and it didn't taste very good.  I couldn't figure out what he was talking about, so I brushed it off.  Well, a little bit later Tim got home and Hyrum ran to tell him about the ice being gross.  I shrugged my shoulders at Tim and then Tim asked, "You mean that stuff that's on the sidewalks outside?"  In preparation for the ice, maintenance had put out salt.  Yep, yep, that stuff is gross, and definitely not ice.

We managed to make it through another week inside.  The sun came out on Saturday, so we went out for a bit between naps.  Lila is doing well with language.  She seems to be getting clearer.  Tim was gone all week and today he made comment on how much she has improved in just a week.  She has also starting spitting, which gets her an automatic timeout.  She has been picking up some of Hyrum's less than desirable habits, which is so hard to break, because she is still two and she seems Hyrum doing it.  She also started fixing things with Hyrum's tools.  Hyrum went through a fixing phase at this age and it's just fun to watch her fix things.  My personal favorite is when she starts fixing me.  Hips and knees first please!  Basically, she is high energy and full of it!  Case and point...she's ready for a diaper change in style.

Hyrum got a new toy this week through our local Buy Nothing group.  He builds roads and then battery operated cars drive.  It has been fun to see him incorporate the roads with his other ideas.  He created this on one day.  I thought it was a cool building with a road around it, until Hyrum informed that it was a special machine that makes babies fall asleep.  If only such a machine existed.

He also incorporated his other toys to make a much larger system.  I am always amazed at what he comes up with.  

 Liam is changing and growing.  He still spits up a lot, but I weigh him frequently and according to our scale he is growing.  Probably not as much as kids his age, but I will take it.  This week he turned three months.  He started gurgling his drool, which is super cute.  He also loves to pull up his legs and wiggle to rotate.  He is getting more mobile and I think he will be rolling by four months.  At the beginning of the week he was taking 2+ hour naps and sleeping for a 7 hour chunk at night.  I was super surprised, but didn't get my hopes up.  Sure enough, we went right back to 40 minute naps and 3-4 hour chunks at night.  I read about a technique to help reset their sleep cycle and I am happy to report that I started jostling him at about 30 minutes and he started sleeping 1.5+ hours!  It has effectively lengthen his naps and helped us be able to set him down at night.  I usually put him to sleep at night and then hold him for several hours, because that is the only way to keep him asleep.  Well, I set him down jostle him at 30 minutes and he will stay asleep until about 10 pm.  It has worked so far and hopefully, it will work until he is ready to transition longer sleep cycles.

I am ready for some sunny weather.  We are supposed to have high fifties next week and I am planning on getting outside with the kids.  I have also been looking at rentals in preparation for our move.  We probably won't sign anything for a couple of months.  Most places want renters now and our contract doesn't end until May.  We are leaning towards trying to rent a house so we can have a yard, but we will just have to wait and see what is available.

Here's to sunny weather!

Comments