A long two weeks!

It has been a wild two weeks.  I have done the first day of kindergarten I don't know how many times, but this year is completely different being on the parent side.  We've been to several stores multiple times finding everything Hyrum will need for the new year and they haven't even posted class supply lists yet.  There are also lots of little things that have come up that require more attention, some things are due to covid.  It should be a very interesting year hopefully without too many quarantines.

Mr. Hyrum has been counting down the days to preschool and the bus.  He is excited for school and to ride the bus.  He was so excited to choose his backpack and lunch box, which ended up being minecraft for both.  He also enjoyed finding and few clothes and figuring out the changing room.  He's never been in a changing room, and as you can imagine was full of questions.

He had his kindergarten assessment this week that went well.  It seemed pretty straightforward.  He didn't seem phased by it at all.  He hasn't been nervous to leave with unknown adults, which is nice because they aren't allowing any parents in the classroom/school.  We will find out his teacher and meet her next week.

Hyrum was able to do a couple of playdates this week.  We haven't been able to play much this month because of his stitches and then the kids passed a runny nose around.  Speaking of stitches, they are all officially out and we are moving to the sunscreen stage.  It still looks very pink and raw, but hopefully things will fade in time.

Lila is excited for preschool with mom.  We have been talking about our school starting after Hyrum's starts.  I think it will be fun to spend some one on one time with her, but I foresee it being very different than Hyrum, because Lila is a lot more active and isn't as attentive.  Lila is on a joke kick.  She loves to tell her why the chicken crossed the street jokes.  Usually, it because he wants to cross the street.  She is also into "pretty" clothes.  Ever since she went dress shopping with me she has been saying skirts and dresses are pretty and trying on my shoes.  It's pretty funny to watch her walk around in my heals.  She tries Tim's shoes, which is even funnier because they are like clown shoes on her.

Liam has had a big two weeks.  He is the first the kids to go on a plane.  He did well...more on that later.  He had a little runny nose that didn't seem to do anything, but drip.  I don't know if he was sick or if it was teething.  His two front teeth have just been hanging out under the gum line.  I feel for the kid, because I can totally feel them, but they haven't cut the gums.  He knows his name and will look at us when we call his name.  He will also come when we give the up or come motion.  He continues to love food.  I have started giving him Cheerios as his first wheat.  I've been very slow to introduce foods to him that caused trouble.  I am going to make him some oatmeal pancakes next week.  I am sure he will love it.


Tim has been busy with nights.  He did two weeks in the ER, which was basically nights as he was working the noon to midnight shift.  He has received two fellowship interview invites.  It's pretty early to be getting them, so we were surprised.  He will interview in Florida and South Carolina, and interviews will all be virtual, which is nice because that means we save a ton of money and plane tickets and don't have to deal with the flying madness.

I've been staying busy with getting everything set up for school and taking a quick trip to Dallas for Brian's wedding.  I managed to find nonstop flights, which was a huge blessing.  Liam did really well on the way out.  He slept for part and then made eyes at the people behind us for the rest.  It was a little rough being at the reception in the evening.  He has never stayed up late, but still did well with really no fussing.  We were able to catch up with family in the few short hours we were together.  He woke up a couple of times in the night and at 3 am I happened to check my phone to discover my flight had been canceled.  I happened to get the last seat on next flight out, which left three hours after our original flight.  We got to spend some extra time with family before heading to the airport.  I definitely got my steps in with all the gate changes...six to be exact.  I went from one end to the other on one terminal before they changed us to a completely different terminal which required a long hike and a tram ride.  Liam didn't do so well on the flight back.  He was always one step away from a meltdown.  He missed most of his naps for two days and then got very little sleep during the night.  He mostly kept it together, but I/he was relieved to get home.

We have also been practicing our school morning routine.  Tuesday was the day to start and I failed miserably by missing my alarm.  We had talked the night before about needing to get up and get going so he could be on time.  He asked first thing if we were on time...no, no we were not.  We did much better the rest of the week, but man I am tired.  Between Liam having some rough nights and waking up early for Hyrum, I've found myself crashing on the floor during naps.  It doesn't really work, because a certain someone is whispering in my ear to see if I want to build with him.

This coming week we have meet the teacher and I am sure we will make yet another trip to Walmart for school supplies.  He will only have one day of school this week, which will be good to give us a weekend to make adjustments.  It's going to be exciting!

Comments