Let summer begin!

We made it!  We officially finished our first year of homeschool on Friday.  I let Hyrum finish the last couple of lessons on Thursday, so he could go to the bike park with Tim.  I guess we had a fun last day of school.  I am pleased enough with how things went this year that we are going to do it a second year.  I find myself thinking more in terms of the long run and what we will do with Hyrum when he is a teenager.  I don't know what the future will hold, but for now this is our path.

We have six weeks until we move, so we will be spending a little bit of time each day packing.  The plan is to have the kids help as much as possible.  I am finding they are good little workers and very helpful when it isn't a detailed job like sorting and organizing.  I am very grateful for my Marie Condo and Swedish death cleaning kick, because I have gone through every item we own and passed on what we don't need or what doesn't bring me joy.  I can truly say that having less inventory to keep track of brings me great joy!  We still have a lot of stuff, but it's either already pack or organized to the point that all I really need to do is tape a box.  Hopefully, having the kids help will get them mentally prepared for a move and be ready for the next great adventure.  We have made some good friends here and they will be sad to leave all their buddies.

Hyrum was really excited to finish school.  I think he is excited to be a second grader and for all the things he will start next year.  He has started getting ready by himself in the morning or getting ready really fast.  We have struggled with him either not wanting to get dressed or getting distracted by a book or toy that is in him room.  I'm not sure when it flipped exactly, but he finally seems to have that routine down.  He continues to love all things Mario, Minecraft, and Sonic.  I can frequently hear him talking about one of those subjects...like today, I was in the hall at church with Owen and heard him talking about nether swords.  Luckily he has some great teachers that humor him.

Lila is enjoying some extra freedom with no school.  I am continually surprised at what she is understanding.  She is starting to pick up beginning sounds of words, which is awesome.  I  really feel like she will be reading easy readers by the end of the next school year.  She also made some new friends.  We met a family that lives on the other side of our complex that has three girls, one who is just older than her.  She spent time with them learning how to make flower chains.  Totally Lila!  She also continues to dance and sing her way through the house.  She also continues to improve her hairstyling abilities.  The more bows and clips the better.

Liam's last two molars finally popped all the way out this week.  It took forever and I am so glad that they are out.  He has also started imaginative play.  His two favorite things are to play Paw Patrol and come to the rescue with his Chase and delivering packages.  Tonight he was driving around an Amazon truck delivering packages to everyone.  He is figuring our pretend and we never know what he will hand us in the morning.  The best pretend thing this week was walking in the morning and having him hand us rabbits.    

Owen is growing like crazy.  I am considering just moving him to 6-9 month clothes, because 3-6 month clothes are already getting a little tight.  He is starting to become more mobile as he wiggles and kicks.  He has figured out how to roll from his stomach to his back.  He still won't nap longer than 30 minutes without being held.  I am really hoping that he transitions fast because he is getting heavy in the carrier.  Luckily, when he hits the night hours he will sleep for longer stretches.  He has discovered that he loves bath time and will kick and splash water.
  
Tim had a short work week, so we had him home from Wednesday on.  It was so nice to have an extra pair of hands in the morning and someone to take the kids in the afternoons.  The kids loved having him home and getting to do things with him.  He took the kids to the bike park, swimming, and helped him carry out Mother's Day/Birthday festivities.

We also had an impromptu hotdog party.  We have some amazing neighbors that are really good at planning things and bringing people together.  She is also really good at capturing the moments.  Lila had a lot of fun running around with the other kids.


Tim took over today and did all the cooking.  I was delighted when he brought up eggs and fruit for breakfast.  I was told I couldn't come downstairs because decorating was happening, so he brought be up eggs.  For those who don't know...previous to our marriage Tim didn't really like/eat eggs.  He's been a good sport eating them when I make them.  Over the years he has become okay with eggs and will even cook them for me!  He also made some deluxe waffles for dinner.  It's really hard to find something that I can eat that the kids can help with.  Waffles is a win for everyone!

Until next week...we'll see if having the kids help pack was a good thing.

Comments