Best Snow Ever!!

Life is a rollercoaster sometimes.  We had our ups and downs this week with teething, sickness, fevers, double snow, new skills, and funny personalities shining bright!  Let's get to it...before everything slips from my mind.

This week marked our first full week of school since our Christmas break.  I mentioned a bit ago that we were going to switch things up a bit and this week was the start.  We added life skills for the kids.  Hyrum wanted to learn sewing skills and some cooking and Lila wanted to learn to use the microwave.  She sees the microwave as her key to freedom in the morning.  She loves oatmeal for breakfast and she can do all the prep except for the microwave.  She has to wait for help, but she wants to skip the waiting and get some independence.  Both kids enjoyed learning some new skills.  They will continue to build on them over the next six weeks.  

The other thing we switched was our schedule.  I have felt this year that I am struggling to balance home life and school life, which is totally ironic, because I always said that I would never be able to teach and have a family.  I would struggle with balance.  Well, I'm doing it and struggling to find the balance.  I redid our schedule to make Mondays easier and I am pushing back the start time of school.  Monday's are always busy getting the week on track.  It was nice to have a little less school, so I can focus on getting things off right and not feel like I am going crazy.  Up until this point we have always started early, because the kids are early risers and they want to start.  I decided that I'm not starting until I am ready.  It's so much easier to focus on just school and not school and cleaning up the breakfast.  So, we start a bit later in the morning and for the most part are done by lunch depending on the day.

Lila had her second week of dance.  She had increased her music and dancing around the house.  She can often be found around the house with her mic, ukulele, and dance gear.  She recently found a way to tuck the mic in the strings of her cape so she doesn't have to hold it.  It's something to see.  She loves her dance.  She always has a big smile at the end of class.  

Owen and I struggled this week with yet another cold.  Mine was a bit easier than his as he was fevering for most of the week.  On top of being sick the final bottom tooth cut the gum line.  I was up from 2-5 in the morning almost every night this week dealing with fevers and fussiness.  It's nice to be loved, but when he's not feeling well he doesn't want anything to do with Tim, which means I'm up...a lot.  He spent a lot of time in the backpack this week cat napping.  I can always tell when he's asleep, because he rests his head between my shoulders.  I don't know what I would do without the backpack.  I couldn't get anything done!  

Hyrum continues to love math and science.  He usually picks up new concepts quickly.  All the kids loved starting Botany and honestly, I was really excited too.  We planted some plants that will hopefully survive the cold snap.  Liam is feisty and loves to be helpless.  Those darn dimples make it so hard to be angry when he smiles.  

This week was super exciting because we had two snow days.  Early in the week we had just a light dusting.  There wasn't much there, but the kids still enjoyed bundling up and playing.  They love to eat the snow.  I've decided that's not a battle I'm going to fight.  At least they will be well hydrated.

But, the BIG snow came on Sunday.  They canceled church for us.  So, we had home church with Grandma and Grandpa Zimmerman who came in on Saturday beating the snow.  The kids have been waiting all week to see them.  It had been several years since they had seen them in person due to their mission.  Liam was Owen's age when they last saw the kids.  

It took a bit for the snow to accumulate.  They went out for bit at the beginning and then after it really came down they went out a second time and had lots of fun digging in the snow.

Covering each other in snow.  If you look closely you will see Hyrum's tongue sticking out trying to catch the snow.

Snow angels galore! 

And just plain old fun.  All the adults opted to stay indoors, because it was freezing...literally.  We have been in the single digits, which is crazy when we were in the 60s a few days previous.


The snow won't melt for a couple of days due to freezing temperatures.  The kids have grand plans to play in the snow.  I have grand plans to enjoy the quiet and stay warm!  Hopefully everyone else is staying warm.  Until next week.

Comments