Birthday week!

Hyrum is the type of kid that has a birthday week...sometimes he's a birthday month type of kid.  He was so pumped to celebrate and have all the family come in for this baptism.  While that will be discussed, let's talk other life happening first.

We are down to the last few weeks of school.  I didn't schedule any time off for the rest of the school year, but I quickly realized that I needed to clear a little off my plate.  So, the kids doubled up on lessons and had a short week of school.  I should probably knock on wood as I am typing this, because it will come back to bite me, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to get the kids to do school.  They don't tend to struggle with doing their lessons.  Usually, they are nagging me to start school.  Dangling days off incentivizes the kids to double down and do their work too.  Hyrum decided that he wanted to do night school too, so he completed a few subjects at night, just to get ahead.  I'm like whatever man...you do you!

We finished school on Wednesday and then started cleaning and getting things ready for family.  Tim's parents came a couple of days early with a cousin that is Hyrum's age.  The kids did plenty of playing while I was working.  Liam has been showing more interest in play and using his imagination.  He started out building a wall to protect his magnatile balls.  He quickly ran out of blocks and started using other things.  He is also getting into building his own tent, looking at books by himself, and going out to sit in the grass.  He's super cute, but man is he's a pill sometimes.  He continues to struggle with staying in bed.  It's a battle every night with him.  He's very tired, because if he stays in bed for more than five minutes he's out.  

Lila is doing so well with reading.  She is starting if find words in books and magazines that she knows.  Today she surprised me by asking if the letters o and r made the word or.  I was delighted and so was she.  She has plenty of drama and will fall down on the ground at the slightest touch or perceived injustice.  I'm not ready for that!  

Owen is super cuddly.  He loves to lay his head on my shoulder and play with my hair.  I suspect he doesn't do it as much with Tim because he doesn't have long enough hair.  The hair twirling is definitely one of Owen's quirks.  He loves to play with his hair has he is falling asleep.  He's taking a couple of more steps, but overall he isn't too interesting in walking.  Definitely slow and steady. 

Friday night family came in.  We had a big dinner at the house and let everyone catch up.  Saturday was the baptism.  It went well, but my asperations were low as it was a no frills event.  It was surreal that Tim and I are old enough to have an 8 year old.  Sometimes I feel like I am still in college, but I'm actually rounding the corner to 40.  Oof!  The spirit was present and I hope that Hyrum will remember it as more than the day he ate way to many Starbursts.

Afterwards, Hyrum opened presents, ate lunch, and took the cousins down to the park to open and GIANT Pikachu that Brian and Fran provided.  The kids were excited and spent the rest of the day running around with cousins.  The weather held for them to play outside, which was great.  We have a tiny house and the outside gave us a lot more room to spread out.  Adults were able to chat and catch up and cousins made memories.



Everyone left after sacrament meeting.  It was a little weird to have it so quiet, well quieter.  My kids are loud enough for a dozen kids sometimes.  

This next week will be calmer, as we work towards the end of school and enjoy some sunnier weather.  Until then.
 

Comments