Two week update!

There is a lot that happened in the last two weeks.  It seems we have been on the go constantly, or maybe it's just me.  Let's see how much I can remember.

Two weeks ago, it was our last week before school started.  I spent some time double checking to make sure we were ready, because we would be starting right after we got back from visiting grandma in Paola.  The kids started practicing their school routine.  I typically have the kids practice what they are supposed to do on a school day, which is basically get ready before playing.  They were also excited to roll the cart out for school.  This year I invested in a cart that keeps EVERYTHING we need for school.  Last year I spent so much time running between rooms to get different things that I decided I'd make my life easier.  

We watched a little boy from church for his mom.  The kids had so much fun playing with him.  I was very impressed with how Liam played with him.  He is a pill sometimes, but he can be so sweet in playing with others.  Hyrum kept us busy with Kuk Sool.  We are still adjusting to having 2-3 classes a week.  He loves it.  He really enjoys learning all the new moves.  Again, I don't enjoy how much he does it on his siblings.  It's a constant battle to help him understand that he can't do the same things at home.  Tim stayed busy with work seeing lots of patients.  I've decided that I'm going to do PR for his clinic.  He's had several people make appointments with him recently due to my telling people about what he can do.  It's kind of fun to see people get a spark of hope when they have been in pain for so long.

We left for Paola that weekend.  The kids did well with the car ride.  The hotel was a bit of a disaster.  Within the first 10 minutes we lost Liam to the hall and Owen locked himself in a room.  We had adjoining rooms and I went over the other room to get the adjoining door open.  I didn't realize that Liam had followed me into the hall.  He didn't know where I had gone and was in the hall for a couple of minutes until we realized that he was missing.  Lila luckily checked the hall fast and found him.  He was teary eyed.  I felt so bad that I didn't realize that he followed me.  It was his first experience with the emotion of lost.  To stop anyone from escaping into the hall I locked the top lock on the doors, so now one could escape.  That proved to be a terrible idea too.  Owen loves to close doors.  Some how he closed the adjoining door when everyone else was in the opposite room from him.  Tim and I ran out to the hall to see if we could get the door open, but it proved impossible with the top lock on.  The poor kid looked so pitiful reaching through the crack in door to try to get us.  I ran down to the front deck and they had a tool that was just for cases like ours.  Pretty sure we were the only ones to ever need it, but I'm glad they had it, because I was envisioning needing to dismantle doors to get him out.  After that craziness top locks were banned and towels where draped over the tops of the adjoining doors.

We spent lots of time with grandma on Saturday exploring her house and playing.  I'm sure grandma had flashbacks with the kids going in and out of the house.  Their business is never more apparent than when we visit other people.  They also spent some time riding the neighborhood with scooters, playing at a playground, doing a picnic lunch, and getting chigger bites.    



Saturday evening Erin came in and we had dinner with her.  Sunday we all went to church.  Surprisingly, all the kids went to their classes without any trouble.  They enjoyed their classes and singing time.  Today, Lila started talking about the tree of life song she sang two weeks ago.  I finally found it and we sang it for family home evening.  Way to go Paola primary!  Sunday afternoon and evening we celebrated grandma's birthday.  

We left for home early Monday morning.  We, meaning I, needed to get settled so we could start school the next day.  The kids were super pumped for it.

Presenting Lila the kindergartener... 

Liam the Pre-preschooler...

And Hyrum the 3rd grader.

I always gradually start subjects, so this week wasn't too difficult.  Next week we add in most of the rest of the subjects, which will be interesting.  Overall the kids did great this week and Hyrum is just itching to be given assignments ahead of time to work on them.  We celebrated Friday with paint by number art.  I found the canvases on sale at Michaels.  The kids did well with them and stuck with it.  It was kind of hard, but they turned out really cute.  All the paintings have found homes in their rooms.


Lila and Hyrum also started piano lessons this week.  I like their teacher and the kids seemed to really enjoy their class.  Time will tell if their interest sticks.  I'm just grateful that we can do the lessons in the morning.  I'm not sure how we would be able to handle all the activities if everything was in the evenings.  One of the many perks of homeschooling.

The stake had their annual activity at the Alma waterpark.  Tim took the older three to swim and they had a blast.  It was a super late night for them, but totally worth it, especially for all the brownies and Cheetohs the kids ate.

Caught this funny moment.  Betcha Tim didn't read this responsibility in the fine print.  :)
Until next week.

Comments