Two weeks and counting!

So...once again there is snow on the ground, in the air and every where I don't want it to be. I was so excited to have a week of good weather and then the snow comes again. Utah weather really confuses me. I am very ready for nice weather!

The preschool is going well. I really love working with this age group. They are so full of life and curious about the world around them. I enjoy working with all the aides. They work so hard. I remember when I was a 222, it was really my first experience being in a teaching setting. Thinking back I have made a lot of progress in my teaching skills. I have two funny stories that I would like to share. The first is more cute than funny. Because we are private school we don't have to follow public school rules, so we have prayer at every snack. One of the students is the prayer helper and often times they say their own prayer. Well, one boy said that he could do it by himself and so I let him go. His prayer ended up being more like a talk than a prayer. The best line was "Jesus wants us to be nice."

The second was really funny. We have been talking about doctors and have moved into the body (skeleton, muscles). We were able to borrow a full size skeleton and the kids did observational drawings of the skeleton. One boy was working on his and I was helpin him because he was struggling. He stopped and asked where the whole was as he was looking at the skeleton. We had talked about hip bones and I thought he was talking about the hips, but he kept on saying no. I asked him to draw it and he couldn't and then to show me, but again he couldn't. It ended with me being very confused and him being frustrated because I couldn't answer his question, so we just stopped. Well, the teacher was observing in the booth (oh did I mention that the preschool is a lab, so there are students and teachers that come and observe through one way windows) and came out to me a recess and started laughing and explained to me what the whole was (the bum whole). I started to laugh and then was kind of embarrassed because everyone in the booth knew what he was talking about except for me. For those that think this is shocking, you have to understand that this is very developmentally normal for this age group. Most have recently been potty trained and are beginning to ask questions about their bodies. Body functions are also very funny to them, so we will have conversations in class about such things and it is completely normal.

I can't really top that story...everything else that happened was small stuff. I did take some resumes to actual schools, because principals were not getting back with me. I also went to support another friend who put a movie of his in a competition. On Saturday I had lunch with some friends that are getting ready to have their first baby. I feel old, because my friends are starting to have children!! Yikes!

Well I have two weeks to go until I am done with student teaching. I do not have to do my teacher work sample over again, so that means that I passed that, now all I have to do is stay strong until the semester is over so I can graduate!

Comments