Asthma and teachers!

I don't really have asthma, but for those that do, they should probably not be in the state of Utah.  It seems like the whole state is on fire.  We spent the entire week smelling smoke and having hazy days.  There are lots of fire restrictions and certain canyons have been closed, because of spreading fires.  The roommates and I were planning on going to see the Manti pageant, but they closed the canyon that we take to get there and we didn't feel like going and extra hour and half to drive around the fire.  That was going to be our big fun of the week, but instead we went swimming and called it good.

I spent most of the week in and out of my classroom.  Both of the new teachers came into start working on their classrooms.  I am super happy at how willing they are to get going.  This coming week we will begin our  Summer collaboration where we sit down and start talking about curriculum and other things.  It should be interesting to see how that goes.

I also began my master's class.  The first week was a little stressful, because everything is done online and you basically communicate through messaging.  It was tricky to figure out some of the formatting stuff, but I am hoping that it doesn't take as long this week, because I am not trying to figure things out.  I have really enjoyed what we have talked about so far.  It has only been a week and I have had the range of emotions that I am doing alright to I am the worst teacher ever.  The thing I have taken away from this week is that even though everyone wants to overhaul the education system, because it is "awful" and they suggest solutions that are usually band-aids, change starts with the teacher.  The only way things will change and get better is if the teacher changes for the better.

Along the teaching note...I began teaching the career workshop in Sunday School today.  I kind of liked it.  We aren't really talking doctrine, but all the things are based off of the scriptures and things prophets have taught.  It is interesting to see people kind of light up when they start understanding, and to see people be so vulnerable.  I hope that I can help in some way.

That's all from me.  Enjoy the 4th July and celebrating our freedoms!

Comments