Fall is upon us!

Fall is coming fast.  I love the in between seasons.  It is not incredibly hot or cold.  The mountains are already starting to change colors.  I can't wait until I can go up and look at all the colorful leaves. 

We finished our first full week of school, because the previous two weeks have been partial weeks.  I was also nicely surprised this week, by how quickly the students are getting into the routine of school.  Usually it takes the kids about 30 days to get the hang of things and calm down.  But, by Friday of this week, we were already experiencing some extremely quiet periods in class.  It really excites me as a teacher, because that means the I can start things like guided reading, because they are independent.  I have done quite a few assessments this week and have been nicely surprised by the progress.  It is always fun to see them get key strategies that you know will greatly aide them in their reading.

On Monday, we had our first specialty day.  We have chosen to do art, music, P.E., computers, and library all on Monday, so we have blocks of time that will not be interrupted.  I am the P.E. teacher, so I get to teach seven P.E. classes from preschool and kindergarten.  I was so exhausted by the end of the day, but so happy.  The kids had a lot of fun and it is a great workout for me.  I think if I had to be a teacher I would want to be a P.E. teacher (they get to wear comfortable clothing as well). 

Funny story of the week.  This story just goes to show how five year old is focused on themselves and haven't learned to see things from others perspectives.  Students were sitting on the carpet and I asked them to turn to the person next to them and talk about something.  I walk around listening to their conversations and find one group struggling.  A boy is hunched in a little ball crying with a pouty face.  I asked him what was wrong and he said that his partner wouldn't talk to him and he was so hurt.  I tried not to laugh as I said, "Honey, she doesn't speak English, you just have to be patient."  I just found it to be really funny that he got so upset that someone wouldn't talk to him. 

My week was focused on work and studying.  I love my classes, but this week I wondered why I was putting myself through more schooling just to have a busy schedule.  I think I am pretty much over that now and I am ready to go back to work on Monday. 

This weekend I went swimming with some friends and prepared for our regional conference.  I really enjoyed conference.  We had a lot of really good speakers and Elder Oaks told a really funny story about single people and likened us unto a jacket.  It was great!

Comments