First field trip of the year and probably the most memorable!

It was another busy week.  By nature I am an organized person and like to have everything planned and ready way in advance.  I am learning to let things go, because as a teacher you have to be flexible, because things change constantly.  We planned our first field trip for this week a month in advance and we ended up having snow in the forecast.  We canceled last minute because we really didn't want to deal with 100 cold and wet five year olds.  Not a pleasant thing.  We changed it for the next day, which was a good choice, because the weather was perfect.  And so begins the story...

All the students managed to get to the buses.  We have two this year because of the number of students in kinder.  It is very different having more than one bus.  I was the lead teacher and I saw that all classes and parents were present, so I gave the signal to go.  About five minutes later I get a call from the teacher on the other bus.  This is how our conversation went.

Me:  "Hey.  What's up?"
Other teacher:  "Umm...I went back to take attendance.  And the buses are gone."
Me:  "What?!  You're not on the bus?"
Other teacher:  "No."
Me:  "I am so sorry.  You shouldn't have taken attendance.  Are you on your way?"
Other teacher:  "Yes.  I will be there as soon as possible."
Me:  "K.  We will take our time so you can make sure to get to the farm."

Note for the future.  The teachers are just as important, so make sure the teachers are present on the bus as well.

I also had another funny experience, not as funny as the first.  I teach double dose after school and one of my students made this statement very excitedly.

Student: "Hey you have a mommy book!"
Me:  "Huh?"
Student points to the book.
Me:  "Oh, a mummy book (it was a Halloween book)."
Student with a very concentrated look: "Yes...a mummy...book."

Kids say the funniest things.

Well, I had this week off from my master's and next week begins the new class.  I have had a chance to look things over and I am excited about some of the things we will be learning.  It was also to have a little down time to actually talk to my roommates.  And try to figure out my new math class.  I should be back to the normal busy this coming week.

I also went to a ward Halloween party on Saturday, which was fun.  My two favorite Halloween costumes were my roommates that dressed up as milk and cookies.  One was dressed all in white and the other was dressed in tan with color dots all over for M&Ms.  The other one was a kids that dressed up as the BYU grass with a sign that said not to walk on the grass.  You may be wondering why that was funny, well BYU is constantly putting up signs saying don't step on the grass, because it is trying to grow.  It's kind of a joke, because they put the same signs every year and every year the grass doesn't grow.  I thought it was rather clever.

Next week should be fun, because we will have students on a sugar high for half the week.  They have all been very excited to dress up for the past while.

Until next week.

Comments

Holly said…
I don't know what the signs say now, but when I was a student, they read 'Don't harrass the grass'