Humor!

It was a hard week for the kids to come back.  I think they enjoyed the break a little too much.  We began our reading test this week and so far so good.  I am always amazed at how far they come.  Some of my students came in knowing less than half of their letters and sounds, but are reading.  Next week we will continue with the testing and add on another assessment.  Sometimes I feel guilty for doing so little teaching during the months of April and May, but what can you do when you have to administer so many tests.

Despite not being ready to come back to school, they were really funny.  I don't have any specific stories, but we did work on poetry this week.  As a team we decided to modify a few types of poetry and let the kids do it.  Best...idea...ever!  It was hilariousness to read what they came up with.  Our first day we did lies.  The object of this type of poetry is to tell the most outrageous lie you can think of.  We had anything from riding an elephant to school to one student saying he was actually a girl.  The next day we did acrostic poems with their names.  They needed to think of things they liked that began with the letters of their names.  One student had an "o" in his name.  I read his and saw that it said opera with a man singing with his mouth wide open.  So funny!  Then we did color poems and shape poems where students thought of things that had the color or shape.  Our poetry week was filled with lots of laughter and excitement.  Our hallway also looks amazing with all their poetry.  Kinder probably has the best looking hallway!

I have one week left on my masters class.  I spent four hours working on the final project for the class yesterday and was able to finish a good portion of it.  Then I have one week off which will be nice, because I will be taking classes without a break during the summer.

Tim and I went to BYU's final cut, which is short films created by BYU students.  They were all very well done, but some of them I did not understand.  After that we went to bonfire up in the mountains.  The weather was great on Saturday for yard work, so I spent several hours working outside.  I even got a little sun, even though it was overcast.  That evening I dedicated to homework, kind of boring, but it needed to be done.

This week I have a PE conference at BYU that I am really excited to attend.  I get to play games and learn about playing games all day.  The best part is I can really sleep in, because I only have to walk five minutes to BYU.  Unfortunately, I will have to go up to work to put my classroom back together and get ready for the next week.

Comments