This post is brought to you from...Kansas!


This post comes to you from Kansas.  Brian and I took some time this week to fly back to what he and dad lovingly call “the motherland.”  It had been a long time since I had gone to visit grandparents, so it was high time. 
           
The week began with the teachers being free to go back to the school.  The floors looked great, which is why we couldn’t go in the first place.  I was able to complete more in my room and I am down to the little things that need to be done just before the kids come back.  Speaking of kids coming back, they will be coming for testing in one week.  Teachers will start back this week on Thursday with meetings.  I ran into another teacher on Monday and she said, “Man, it seems like we just left.”  Time does fly.  This has been a busy summer.  The past month in particular has been busy, because I have not been home that much.

Tim and I didn’t have much time together this week, because I left him part way through.  We did have Sunday dinner at his aunt and uncle’s house.   There we found out that Eddie was their hometeacher several years ago.  They were asking about where I grew up and I mentioned Nebraska, which led to them talking about a hometeacher they had who loved Nebraska whose last name was Kluber.  My thinking was, what are the odds.  We also went to pick up his roommate who came home from visiting family before school starts.

Brian came up on Wednesday night so that we could leave bright and early…well dark and early.  I was up at 4 am to pick him up and head to the airport.  We made it in one piece and all our flights were on time as we headed to Kansas.  Once we made it my first thought was of how green it is.  Utah is much less green.  My second thought was how open it felt.  Living in Provo, it is very cramped with the mountains.  Brian and I met dad and the hotel and we waited until his meetings were over to go to grandma and grandpa Kluber’s house.  We had a good visit with them.  Grandpa took me on a tour of his woodworking collection, which is quite impressive.  Grandma updated us on the happenings of the community and fed us well.  I was not disappointed!  We also had the chance to see Aunt Kathy and Uncle Tom, which was nice.  I realized just how long it had been since I had seen family.

Friday night we headed to Topeka to visit grandma Langdon.  I was able to see the beautiful country between Paola and Topeka, lots of cows, hay, and open country.  We had a good visit with her reminiscing about the good old days and heard all about how the area has changed.  We also had dinner with Uncle Mike, which is always a fun time.

That brings me to Sunday.  I was up at 4:30, which is a record for Sunday, and we are getting ready to board the plane.  This time next week I will have updates on how it is to be back a school full time.

Comments