Successes and failures!

The kids have been in school for almost 30 days, which is a big milestone.  We did lots of assessing this week in preparation for parent teacher conferences, which will be next week.  It always amazes me how much kids can learn in such a short period of time.  Conferences this year should be a breeze, because I have only 20 students to get through instead of my 46-50.  It will be the first time I have had parent teacher conferences with such a small number.

Tim and I carpooled for most of the week.  I am getting better at being on time to pick him up, but it is getting more difficult as we get deeper into school.  He is very excited to be done with his training.  He is ready to be on his own and out of the classroom.  He passed his Spanish exam, so he has been practicing more Spanish in preparation for fielding those calls.  We decided to have an early date night this week.  We went to see the new Saints and Soldiers movie and we went to Costa Vida.  I was a success this time, because we didn't loose keys, leave the car running, or walk into the wrong movie.

Tuesday was also the first day of Fall, which means leaf sorting in class.  The kids had lots of fun sorting and gluing leaves.
The weather in Utah has not been Fall like.  We have been in the 90's all week.  I am not complaining, but if you believe the rumors from the weatherman it will change soon.

On Wednesday we went to the temple.  I feel I have come to appreciate the temple and the peace found there in the past month or so.  I have always enjoyed going to the temple, but it has taken on a deeper meaning and have an increased measure of peace.  I have also really come to enjoy taking family names.  I have been blessed recently with some tender experiences with family names.  

By Friday, we were both tired and ready for the weekend.  This weekends musical with the Music Man.  It wasn't Tim's favorite, but I think he still enjoyed it.  I think his favorites so far have been My Fair Lady and the Sound of Music.  We also attempted to make pear jam.  This jam date ended up in a glorious failure.  I think what happened is I cooked the pears too long and it ended up more like candy than jam.  In my defense I followed the recipe, but I didn't take into account the fact that our post conduct heat well and altitude.  By morning it was all hard as a rock and I tossed it.  The lesson I learned was follow my cooking instincts.  I felt it was done much earlier than the recipe said, but I had never made pear jam, and I ended up with a botched batch.

Saturday was a rainy day.  Tim went running and ended up very wet by the time he got back.  We stayed in and cleaned and worked on projects.  I went to the Relief Society meeting and loved it.  Tim stayed home and watched it in Spanish.  Afterwards I went to chat with Carolyn for a little bit and then we called it a night.  

Next week is General Conference and I am so excited!

Comments