Some weeks are just too hot to handle!

Despite the title, it was not warm in Houston.  Well, I guess that depends on your definition of warm. We were in the mid-fifties all week with some rain.  For us, that means we broke down and turned on the heater, because waking up early is hard to do when your bed is thirty degrees warmer than the rest of the apartment.

Tim seemed to get back into the swing of things quickly.  He has a short block of three weeks before another round of exams. He continues to study and try to stay focused.  I would say he does a great job of it.  This semester he is studying the brain.  So, I get to see lots of brain scans.  It is kind of interesting.

I guess the title this week more applies to me.  I always found the first week back after Christmas break was a challenge with the kids.  Monday was always amazing, as the students were still in shock that they were back in school.  As a teacher I would think that maybe they didn't forget our routines and this year will be different.  By Tuesday, all hope is shattered and you remember the battle from last year and brace for impact.  I discovered that even though I am not in the classroom this year it still applies.  And really, it applies to a lot of people....

Monday was great!  I thought that perhaps things would ease back into a routine and we wouldn't have too many issues.  By Tuesday at 10:30 am I knew better and was getting ready for impact.  We had a lot of work to do to catch teachers up and to get organized for the next few months.  Our projects only last for four more months and there is a lot that needs to happen between now and then.  I also began working on retirement and insurance stuff, which both are at the top of my list of things I dislike dealing with.

But, I wasn't the only one who had a hard week.  A coworker was in a wreck and another had several teachers they work with have serious life issues...one involving HPD.  But, the winner was probably our complex.  I left Tuesday evening to run an errand came around the corner to this.
  

After my initial shock I realized our street was completely blocked by firetrucks, police cars, and the EMS.  I wasn't leaving any time soon.


 Instead, Tim and I watched as the firefighters did what they do best.  Put out fires.


While I am sure the complex is not very happy, they were lucky.  A tenant saw the fire and started to fight it.  With that and the quick response of the fire department they probably saved a couple of buildings for starting on fire as well.  When it was all said and done the mail room, office, and exercise room were destroyed.  The news report said that the fire was under investigation, because it was suspicious.  I haven't seen any further reports on cause, but with all the people that smoke around our complex it wouldn't surprise me if a cigarette did all the damage.


Any who...on the plus side the crib finally came in after two months and we went to pick it up.  I have to say that I do love the Camry!  I was worried that we wouldn't be able to fit the box in the back and it just barely made it!  This is the second purchase we have made that was worrisome, but the car pulled through and it was just the right fit. 


We also had Stake Conference this weekend.  There was a big emphasis on keeping the Sabbath.  I realized that I am very grateful for the example and expectations that were set for me growing up.  Many of the things brought up have never been an issue for me because it was all I have ever known.  Like not watching TV or doing homework on Sunday.  That isn't to say that I am perfect by any means, because I have made some changes already and I am sure  the Lord will show me more changes that need to be made along the way.  I am grateful for personal revelation and that through desire and obedience I can come to delight in the Sabbath and truly keep it holy the way my Father in Heaven intended it to be!

Here's to a not so hot week next week!

Comments