Oh Harvey...

Well, I have to say that Harv has put a cramp in our style and millions of others.  Hyrum and I had a routine week with our playing and cleaning schedule.  I don't get regular updates on weather or news because I don't watch TV or listen to media, so it was late in the week when I finally heard something other than we could get some weather.  I was grateful that I went grocery shopping early on Thursday.  Aldi was much busier than usual and I really didn't put two and two together until later in the day when I started hearing from other med student wives.  I am also grateful that I had the thought to run to Walmart earlier in the week and grabbed a lot more diapers than I usually do instead of waiting until Saturday when I normally go to Walmart.  I would say that this whole experience has taught me that when "ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."

I guess I should start from the beginning of the week and work towards the hurricane part of the week.  As mentioned before we had a very routine week.  I think this week was probably my favorite week of all in Hyrum's growth and development.  This week Hyrum learned to say mama!  It took him almost 16 months, but he finally did it.  We had a few times where it sounded like it, but I think he might have been say more because he was heading to the fridge.  This week for sure we know he can say mama and he attaches it to me as a person and his mama!!  Tim said after the first time he did it this week, "Welcome to the family (jokingly)?"  I responded with a, "Why thank you...glad to be here."  But, seriously it is really nice to have him say my name instead of running around the house saying dada.

Before Harv came we also had a potty training first.  I have heard that potty training boys is really hard and takes forever, so my strategy has been to talk about his bowel movements, so he is aware and hopefully it isn't as hard and he isn't 5 and still in pull-up.  Frankly, diapers are expensive!  We have been talking about his poo poo for a couple of months now.  He woke up from one of his naps and said, "Poo poo," and then pointed to his diaper.  It took me by surprise, but I checked him and sure enough he had a dirty diaper.  We still have a long way to go, but I am hopeful that we can continue to make steady progress and be out of diapers sooner rather than later.

I had a presidency meeting on Thursday where we discussed our hurricane preparedness, which was really good because we needed it a few days later.  We have an extremely organized president who had lived in Houston forever.  She knows what areas tend to flood and what members live in these areas.  When things started getting real we were set!

Tim's classes and rotation responsibilities were canceled on Friday.  I had plans to stay and felt confident that we would be fine.  Tim's hold up with the power.  Ours goes out if someone sneezes too close to the transformer and no power is no fun.  I guess someone sneezed and our power went out before it even started to rain, so we decided to go to Tim's parents who live east of Houston close to Louisiana.

We made great time and didn't run into any issues.  We have been enjoying playtime with family every since.  Hyrum continues to be a goofball.  He likes to put the headphones on, play the piano, ride the horse, and sit at the table like big boy.


He has also enjoyed some of the rain outside.  We have had a lot of rain, but no major issues with flooding.

We will stay in Port Neches for the next couple of days.  The earliest we may get home in Wednesday, but with more rain coming the roads may still be to dangerous to make it home.  Our area is fine, so we aren't concerned about going back to a flooded home.  Tim's classes have been canceled until after Labor Day, so there is no rush.  Until then we will pray for those who aren't as fortunate.  

Comments