Freedom!

We started off the week with Tim on call.  He was gone all day Monday, so we just did our thing.  We went and picked up Tim on Tuesday and he spent the day trying to be productive, but it's always hard when you are lacking sleep.  

Hyrum and I went to story time at the library.  We brought a friend from our complex.  He is the same age as Hyrum and they play together, separately outside.  They kind of circle around one another or will do something quick and move away.  In some cases like Saturday, they just chase one another around the complex.  It's fun to watch them.  Hyrum struggled more this time at the library than he did last time.  I ended up getting up with him to let him do some moving, but it was still lots of fun.

Tim finished up his pediatrics rotation this week, and took his exam on Friday.  He put in some extra hours studying.  He said it was hard, but that he thought it went better than surgery.  The great thing out about finishing this rotation is that instead of starting a new rotation, he is gets Fall break!  I am pumped about it, because we will get to see Tim more and do some fun activities.  

Besides a late night at a presidency meeting, I am pretty much attached at the hip with Hyrum.  Well, I wish I was attached at the hip, but it's more of me running after him.  Any way, we (meaning Hyrum and I) had a great week.  The weather has been a few degrees cooler and less humid.  How do we know this?  Well, we are less drenched when we come in from playing outside.  And, when you are out for at least two hours every day, it makes a big difference.  Hyrum still hates to come in, but I am getting better at tricking him into his stroller.  

Speaking of hate/displeasure...He is getting more assertive about what he wants and he isn't afraid to let us know when he isn't happy.  I have resorted to ignoring him, or setting firm expectations.  For instance, several time this week he has wanted to eat with his blanket.  He will have a tantrum if I try setting the blanket aside, so I set him down and tell him to let me know when he is ready to eat without his blanket.  It takes him about ten minutes to come around, but after watching me eat the food usually wins.

Which leads me to Hyrum and food.  I have been impressed again by his love of food.  We had curry and pesto pasta, both of which have a very adult taste that I did not think he would like, but there was plenty of lip smacking as he inhaled his food.  Probably his favorite food this week was pears.  I gave him a whole pear, which he promptly started working on.  He ended up eating the whole thing...core and all.  When I use the word inhale, I don't do so lightly.  Case and point.  He had half a pear.  I washed a dish and set it out to dry.  I turned back and his pear is gone.  I couldn't have been more than 20 seconds, but it's gone.  Don't mess with his food!


We had a break through with colors this week.  He said white, blue, and purple.  He has yet to consistently identify the colors, but getting him to say the words are a great first step.  He continues to learn new words every day, which makes communication so much easier.  I have also started giving him choices.  I will ask him what vegetables he wants for lunch and he will point to the one he wants.  It's so fun to see this lights go on.  It's the exact reason why I chose to teach.  Seeing the kids light up and make connections as you guide them is just so exciting!

Hyrum went to nursery again this week.  I was asked to help with the primary program and they said to just drop him off.  You didn't have to tell me twice.  This was his first time being there without me for the full two hours.  The leaders said he did great.  However, they did say that he ate a lot...like three times more than the rest of the kids.  Pretty sure the Zimmerman family is going to have to supplement the nursery snacks.

I am just grateful to be done running laps.  Well, we still ran lapse after church like today when we were waiting for Tim to finish up clerking.  I lost track after eight.  The singles ward meets after our ward and he loves to weave in and out as they are in the halls.  Many times I heard, "Where's your mom," and I just wanted to holler out "The panting lady behind you."  Seriously, I need my running shoes. 

Any who...super excited for this coming week.  We are going to go to the zoo as a family tomorrow, but not before we eat pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes and buttermilk syrup.

Comments