Sick Day

I am posting on Sunday, because Hyrum and I are at home.  He developed a cough and runny nose, so we opted to stay at home instead of infecting the rest of nursery.  Hopefully, he will kick it soon, because a stuffy nose makes for hard sleeping.  Until then, he will just chill in the basket with his books, blanket, and animals.

Things have been kicking into high gear for us.  December hit and everything seemed to happen.  Poor Tim had a pretty good schedule worked out for the last month in the hospital, but they had to change it.  Basically, it stinks and is not helpful at all.  There is a lot he is still trying to figure out with his calling.  He was on the phone with Salt Lake several times this week trying to work out some issues.  Most everything is fixed, but there is still some things that need to be done.  He also got a text last night to see if the Stake Clerk could do an audit this Sunday.  I'm not sure if that is going to happen as it is past noon, and he is still at the hospital.  On top of church stuff he is trying to study and get some sleep, but long days with extra stuff  beyond the normal routine doesn't make for lots of sleep or studying.  On the plus side he thinks he has found someone to write a good letter of recommendation for residency.  But really it's all about surviving the next two weeks!

I decided to get started a little early with Christmas baking.  I am trying really hard to not get stressed and to just enjoy the season and focus on the Savior.  I made the first wave of treats and delivered them.  This week was gingersnaps and next week's plan is sugar cookies for those we home and visit teach.  

Last year Tim and I participated in the Light the World campaign.  I decided to do it again this year, but with a spin.  I felt for me that I needed to work on just being like the Savior.  I made a list of all the things that I could do, think, or participate in and will spend the month of December working on establishing a new pattern of behavior.  So far, as I have tried to do things like the Savior I have noticed a greater sense of something that I am not quite sure how to explain...peace, well being, a oneness with the universe.  Whatever it is, I like it!

Hyrum was busy this week.  We used a free pass to the Children's Museum to explore and play in the water.  He also got in the Christmas spirit by dressing up like a reindeer (mostly he humored mom in the store and kept on the antlers for 5.4 seconds...just long enough to snap the picture).  He spent lots of time outside playing and enjoying the weather.  As well as, helping to cook and decorate for Christmas.  I think he has done well with the tree.  We have talked a lot about being gentle with the tree because he can easily pull it over as he is pulling on ornaments.  We have only had one incident with a present needing to be wrapped. 

Speaking of presents and wrapping.  On one of our walks this week we saw this.  It's a little difficult to see, but you will see a UPS truck, shipping container, and some golf carts.  The container has been there for a month, and now we know why it has been there.  UPS drops off packages to the container and then UPS employees drive their golf carts and trailers around delivering them.  I guess there are so many packages here that it is easier to have one truck bring all the packages and then higher people to spend a couple of hours a day delivering .  There certainly are a lot of packages every day! 

Hyrum continues to talk.  He has started using action words like run, walk, sleep, or cry.  It is so interesting to listen to him string simple sentences together.  He has also started pretending.  It started with him letting his animals drink from his water bottle, now he will lay down and pretend to sleep or put his animals to bed.  He will also act out songs, by either doing the motions or using his animals.  Today he sang, "Roll over, roll over," from the song 10 in a Bed, and had his animals roll over and fall out of bed.  Singing has also become a favorite thing.  He knows phrases from quite a few songs and if he wants to sing them he will say the phrase until I realize what he wants.

This weeks color is green.  Everything is green!  He is able to say most of the colors and will identify them correctly some of the time.  Because he is getting the hang of colors, I have started working more on counting.  We are working mostly with numbers to 3.  We do lots of counting as we look at books or are outside.  We have also moved to books with more of story.  I have been teaching him how to be careful with the pages so they don't get ripped.  He is doing really well with that and I think having books with a story is opening up a whole new world of language for him.  For example, we checked out The Three Bears.  We talk about what it happening in each picture and later in the week after several days with the book he goes to his favorite pages and talks about what he sees.  So, I have heard a lot of, "Goldilock run away," or "chair broke," but my personal favorite is, "bear pray."  When ever he gets to the page with the porridge on the table he will fold his arms.  I actually got him to repeat a simple prayer this week for the porridge.

Hopefully, he will kick his cold fast and I won't get it, because we have cookies to make and Santa to see!

Comments