Hanging Around

The weather was up and down this week...again.  We took advantage of the good days and went outside to run.  Hyrum has been really in to hanging and swinging.  It's a great skill, but not in the house, which tends to happen a lot.  He is getting really strong, not that he has ever been weak.  He started holding himself with his are stretched to the side.  I was totally impressed, because I can't even hang and hold myself.  

Hyrum continues to amaze us with things he learns.  He has been focused on building temples this week.  He would get his blocks and build temples.  I came around the corner from cleaning up breakfast and found that he lined up his temples on the wall.  Of course he insists that mom builds too.  He continues to count.  His favorite phrase is, "Let's count," and then he will count whatever he has decided: animals, apples, cars.  He usually says five, six, or one, five, six.  It's really funny.


Hyrum and I went to a music class this week.  We went with one of his Asian friends.  They always have a lot of fun.  His favorite part was the parachute at the end.  We also went to the library and ran lots of errands.

I was able to get out on Saturday to a big garage sale at a Methodist church in our community.  Hyrum has grown again, so I went to see if I could find him some more shirts and shorts for the summer.  I'm sure I've said this before, but we are going to go broke trying to keep clothes on the kid!  Thankfully, there were some great selections and prices.

After the garage sale I went to a Stake Relief Society activity.  They had nutritionist come and speak to us about healthy living.  I went expecting her to talk about the does and don'ts of eating, but instead focused on love.  She came from the perspective that our society is so focused on food, either the fear aspect of being overweight or the chemicals in foods giving us cancer or causing any number of health issues or just eating.  She said that we need to first love ourselves and others, understand that we have stewardship over our bodies, and that we have a purpose on Earth and it's not food.  Food supports us as we fulfill that mission (parenthood, church, service, work).  With these in mind we can make food choices that are wiser like what foods to eat, portion sizes, and what will help us feel good so we can fulfill our life mission.  It changed my perspective on food.  It's not that you can't have something like cake and cookies, but I need to be wise and not eat them frequently and to choose foods that will help me feel good.  I also did some yoga.  I'm not very good, but it was something different.

Tim continued with his neurology rotation.  I think we are safe in saying he is not going to change and become a neurologist.  He has been working on case reports and is getting ready to turn them in to the doctors who gave them to him.  He is hoping to get some more; he doesn't feel these turned out the best because of the information given to him.  He enjoyed his time with Hyrum on Saturday.  To quote him, "We get to log some major bro time."

That is about all from us!

Comments