Adventure week!

It has been quite the week.  We have been in Sandy for a full week and there have been so many things that we have done.  We started off with Sunday visits.  After Hyrum's nap on Sunday we drove down to Provo and saw Carolyn.  It was so good to see her her family.  Her son is super cute!  It's hard to believe babies are ever that small.  I can't really remember Hyrum as a new born, but he was!  We also went and saw some of Tim's extended family before heading back to Sandy.  Lots of driving, lots of people, lots of fun!

Monday was a recovery day for us.  We didn't do much outside of the house, but play and make sure that Hyrum had all his sleep.  Sleep has been one thing we have tried to make sure happens.  Hyrum usually comes with me on our adventures and they are much more pleasurable if he has sleep.

Tuesday we went to library time at a local library with Tim's sister and her son.  They had ponies for the kids to look at.  I wasn't sure Hyrum would like it, but he went right up and brushed the pony like a champ.  We then went in the library to play for a while.  One thing I miss about being in Utah are the libraries.  They are huge and they are all connected, so you can borrow books from any library.  Houston has good libraries, and they have inter-library loans, but it just isn't as big or well organized.


Wednesday, was our day with the car.  We dropped Tim off at the doctor's office and then Hyrum and I went adventuring.  Now, my adventures are very different from the mainstream adventure.  For instance, we had a magical time at Winco.  It is a bulk foods store with great prices.  I have missed Winco deeply, so we went shopping!


We did nap and then drove down to Provo to visit Carolyn again.  Her husband was great and made a boat to float in the BYU river/creek.  Hyrum was in heaven playing with real tools.  We walked over and let if float.  After our time in Provo we drove through rush hour to get Tim.  Can I just say I love Utah rush hour!  I can handle heavy traffic as long as we keep moving and move we did!



Thursday was another at home day.  We are close to the Jordan River trail, so we walked over and fed the ducks.  Hyrum loved the bridges and feeding the ducks.  We didn't do much walking, because Hyrum found some big rocks to climb on in the shade.  So, pregnant me found another rock in the shade and relaxed while Hyrum did his thing.  It was a win, win outing.


Friday was another day at home.  Hyrum didn't sleep well, so he was cranky all day.  Let's just say I was really glad when Tim finally got home.  Two year olds really do require two adults to stay sane!

Hyrum had better sleep that night, so Saturday was much more pleasant.  We started off the morning with a trip to Orem, where Hyrum was introduced to Aunt Holly.  He had an enjoyable time making a mess in her basement playing with all her fun toys.  She even read some of his favorite books to him.  It was great to see her and catch up on life and all the good that is happening.

After nap, Hyrum and I made another trip to...drum roll please...Winco.  I enjoyed myself again wondering the aisles and getting a few things for the week.  After Winco, we drove up into the mountains in search of a waterfall.  We were going to try to go to Bridal Vale falls, but that was a little further than we wanted.  We were told about this one and decided to try it.

On our way up, we drove past a random shopping center and I had one of those deja vu.  I lived in Utah from 10 years, so that chances that I had been that way were high.  As we got closer, I realized that we were heading up to the place where Tim and I got engaged.  We drove past the place where we parked to hike and Tim proposed!  It's funny how random things stick out in your mind like a shopping center.  

We found the place where the waterfall was supposed to be and it was not what I expected.  I saw this...
                                                        

And became a little worried that I might be having a baby sooner rather than later.  Just kidding...well sort of.  I was expecting a paved path that was flat.  That is not what we had.  It was a short hike, but climbing up rocks the whole time.  Normally, it wouldn't be any big deal, but when you are seven and a half months pregnant and balance and oxygen deprived, it matters.

I am happy to report that we made it to the top.  Tim had to work the hardest between helping me climb rocks and Hyrum get up...it was a work out!  We managed to get this family picture and I think Hyrum's face says it all about his initial feelings..."I'm not sure what is happening and I think I don't want to be here."

I am happy to say that once the shoes came off and he was able to play, things got much better.  Tim was a rock star and braved the cold water to play with Hyrum. He enjoyed splashing, climbing, and just doing what you do outside.




Me...I found a rock and sat.  That was about all I had.  The way down was much shorter and easier.  I didn't mention earlier that at the base of the trail were steamrollers and bucket loaders parked for road construction, which was part of the trouble getting Hyrum up.  Why go to a waterfall when you have heavy machinery...no brainer right!


I'm not sure if we were supposed to do it, but we did it any way.  We let Hyrum sit and play for a bit, before we left.  At the time, I'm not sure this was the smartest parent decision Tim and I have made, because Hyrum had a meltdown when we said it was time to go.  When I say melt down, I mean the world is ending/my parents have crushed my soul meltdown.  It took two of us to get him in the car seat and he screamed pretty much the whole way home.  It wasn't until the last couple of minutes when he finally stopped crying.


Tim and I just sat in the front comparing five years ago driving down the same road after getting engaged and driving down five years later...a screaming two year old and another on the way was not something we pictured.  Oh, how time changes!  Today I am grateful we let Hyrum play on them, because he was so excited and loved it!

That is about all from us.  Tim has one more week working with the doctors here.  He continues to enjoy his time.  He found out that he did really well on his last rotation in Texas, which means overall third year of medical school was awesome!  We will leave for Texas next weekend and the humidity.

Comments