Parenting Two!

Well, we survived the first week as parents of two.  Not sure how we managed, but here's to another week!

You will notice a lack of pictures for this week and I am going to say, "Sorry, not sorry."  We may be a little lacking in the picture and video department for the next few weeks as we get into a routine.  This week was a blur, so I am not exactly sure what went on, but I will try to do a recap...or write what I think happened.  Sorry, in advance if I make anything up!

We'll start with Tim...I guess he is the easiest to remember.  He finished his last week in Galveston, which was a relief.  The commute was hard.  He enjoyed his experience and was able to learn more about the program and make potential connections that will help him get an interview.  He also finished a research poster for the conference help this weekend in Galveston.  He attended on Friday for a few hours and then came home.  He is now turning his energy to study for the  STEP.  Luckily, this part is the easier portion.  He will take it on Tuesday and then be done with it.  The second part will take place in November and that one will require more studying time.  Like myself, Tim is lacking in sleep.  Besides a couple of late nights, he also has the pleasure of waking up with Lila several times a night.  He has started moving to the couch around the 2 AM feeding.  I think we are both crossing our fingers that she decides to sleep through the night much sooner than Hyrum.  But, the big news for Tim is that he has his first interview.  He turned in his application last week and scheduled an interview with his school for the preliminary year.  Hopefully, he will get a few more in the next couple of weeks.

Hyrum struggled.  Week two was not as smooth as week one.  He still ignores Lila for the most part, but if we are holding her, we are hearing the jealousy monster come out.  He has done some regressing as far as wanting to be a baby and fussing.  We just go with it and hope the phase doesn't last too long.  But, we did see some progress with him wanting to do things for her like brush her hair or rocking her chair.  I call that a win, no matter how short the time he spends with her.  He has entered a new phase of development.  He loves to give names.  Sometimes we wonder where he gets the names, but it is fun to see his imagination and creativity come out.  This coming week he will attend his first co-op preschool session.  Myself and three other moms are rotating hosting and teaching.  I am not sure how it will go when it is my turn.  I am really hoping I can handle it.  Hyrum is pumped for it and asks daily if he can go to preschool.  

Lila does her newborn thing of eating, sleeping, and pooping.  She has started struggling with projectile vomit.  We usually have a mess to clean up every other day.  I am thankful that it is only every other day and not every time she eats.  Knock on wood that it doesn't get any worse.  We have had some other issues with her digestive system and I think it is all connected.  Hopefully, things work themselves out like they did for Hyrum.  She still sleeps a lot, but towards the end of the week we started seeing her more alert.  She sleeps in three hour chunks...except for today.  I think we have it our second growth spurt.  She has been eating every hour and half to two hours and more fussy than usual.  I am grateful it is happening during the day and not at night like the first one.  

As for me, my only goal in life currently is to brush my teeth before lunch.  You may chuckle, but it almost didn't happen today!  In all seriousness, I do have a few more things I try to do in order to call my day a success.  For the most part, I'm successful.  It may not happen very gracefully, but it happens.  The weather has been a few degrees cooler, so I took the kids out to play a couple of times.  Mostly, I am tired...but who isn't!  I try to get a 20 minute nap in every day during the small window of overlapping naps.  It does help me make it through the rest of the day.  Other than that my life is pretty boring.  Man!  After rereading my paragraph, my life doesn't sound super awesome right now.  Rest assured, I do get laughs in and have found joy "adulting" hardcore with a newborn...and who wouldn't with faces like this coming at you!


Any who...here's to week three!

Comments