Emotions!

Emotions...Mariah Carrey has a song about emotions, except in our house there weren't as many good feeling emotions.  But, let's start with the happy stuff.

Two months!  Now that's some happy stuff!  Lila is two months old.  That means she has made it over the hump of being and newborn and...AND Tim and I have kept her alive for two whole months!  She continues to work out sleep kinks and we have had some sleep wins, as in she put herself to sleep.  It's a far cry from singing, pacing, and bouncing for hours on end.  She has some precious smiles and lots of kicking.  She really likes to kick things.  She seems shocked any time her foot makes a noise or contact with something.  It's almost like she is saying, "Will it work this time?  How about now?"  Here is to the next month .


Also in happy news, Tim received not one, but two interview invites this week.  We had a bit of a dry spell, but he texted me to say he received an invite and then not five minutes later I received a second text indicating another invite.  We are adding New Mexico and Nashville to the list.  He/We continue to feel very blessed with how many he has received.  Dermatology is very competitive and some of his classmates have not been as fortunate.  This was also Tim's last week of studying for STEP.  Hallelujah!  He takes the test on Monday and then he won't have anything to study for until residency.  I am sure he will find things to fill his time.

I think the biggest things for me this week was staying healthy and I was able to attend a whole presidency meeting.  Since Lila was born, I have had to leave early for one Lila reason or another.  I took her with me and through the power of the carrier she stayed asleep the whole time.  It takes so little to please me now.

Now back to the beginning and those emotions.  There is really only one person in this house with emotions and he tends to make the adults (namely the female adult) emotional.  I am not sure what has gotten in to him in the last week or so, but the best way to describe him is an emotional wreck.  The slightest things will set him off and things we have never had an issue with are a real issue.  Two examples sleep time and nursery.  From twelve months until about last week sleep time has be a snap.  We basically took him to his bed and didn't see him for 12 hours.  He never got out of bed to complain or cry and when he woke up in the morning he would just talk and sing to himself until I came and got him.  Even transitioning to a big boy bed there was no issue.  Well, he discovered this week that he could in fact get himself out of bed and open his door, and he could do it a lot.  He has even started waking up in the middle of the night for one reason or another.  One kid is enough in the middle of the night!  We are hoping it is a very, very short phase.  He also has had a very hard time in nursery.  He will bonk something and start to cry and won't stop until one of us comes in.  When he first went in to nursery, he didn't give us a second look and now...well it's a different story. 

Now to convince you that we do have happy times with Hyrum.  This week we discovered how to get Hyrum to put on pants, just put shorts on top.  With the weather so cold, it's time to wear pants.  This is one of those emotional hot spots.  He now wears his pants under his shorts and everyone is happy.  He looks goofy sometimes, and I am sure it makes us look even more crazy to the neighbors than they already think, but if it's a battle I don't have to fight, I am happy. 


He continues to surprise me with the Alphabet.  He knows most of the uppercase and this last week I pulled out the lowercase letters and he has picked up most of those as well.  It is so exciting for me to have him move along.  He is almost ready for me to start teaching him words.  He has so many good reading skills in place and he loves to read.  I think he will pick it up and fly!  It makes my teacher heart happy!  He also gave Lila a hug this week.  It was a body hug, where he kind of just laid on top of her.  I tried not to panic as I watched him, but he was so gentle and didn't squish her, which is a real concern.  He also is into jokes.  My favorite is when he says, "Nacho ( as in not your) cheese.  Nacho meat."  He cracks himself and us up.

To wrap things up here is our funny experience of the week.  Friday was a busy day.  Lila had her two month appointment.  It took a little longer than we thought due to the fact that Lila did her reflux thing all over the nurse while she was giving the oral vaccine.  I was happy I didn't have to clean it up, just wash the clothes.  That not the funny experience...I was getting lunch for Hyrum and turned around to get him something else and I saw this...


If you look closely you will see the object that doesn't belong...namely the cat!  I was so shocked it took me a second to realize that I was looking at a real cat.  Luckily, we know this cat.  Her name is Cookie and she lives upstairs.  Somehow she got into our apartment and was chilling under Hyrum's bed.  I couldn't get her out, so I went and got the neighbors to get her.  Hyrum was on cloud nine.  He couldn't stop talking about cookie being under his bed.

And that concludes this week's happenings!

Comments