Potty Training

 It was a big week at our house for Hyrum and his parents.  Hyrum started potty training!  He was very excited to wear his big boy underwear and not have diapers on any more.  It was also big for Tim and I because our first baby isn't really a baby any more.

I am sure anyone who has potty trained will agree that one graduates to full parenthood when you start running around after your toddler paranoid about accidents.  We started on Monday and by noon he had wet through most of his clothes.  I was second guessing why I wanted Hyrum potty trained and he started running around the house in his underwear, because it was just easier.  Every day he did a little better, so much so that by the end of the week we ventured out with underwear on for 20 minutes or so.  It was just enough time to take a walk around the complex and enjoy the nice weather.  Lila fully enjoys the wagon and does very well sitting in her Bumbo watching the world. 


We ended his week with pull-ups at church.  He didn't have any accidents, which I was very surprised about.  I am dreading the accidents in public that I am sure we will have.

Lila continues to grow.  She is getting better at holding herself up.  She can stay up forever with a little back support, but doesn't last very long by herself.  She continues to try out different sounds, slobbering everywhere, and coordinating arms and legs for crawling.  She has started sleeping with her bum in the air which was one of my favorite things with Hyrum.  They are just so darn cute and to top it off they are asleep.

Tim is busy with his rotation, but not too busy.  He gets home later in the evenings due to travel, but he has much more time on his hands.  On Valentine's Day he didn't have to be at his clinic, so he made cookies with Hyrum.  I was off dairy during Thanksgiving when I normally make chocolate chip pumpkin cookies.  I did make them minus the chips and I think Tim was a little sad, because when I suggested we made sugar cookies (the normal Valentine's Day cookie) he said he wanted pumpkin cookies with the chips.  So he made a heart shaped cookie and called it a day!


With his free time he also did some soccer with Hyrum.  We recently joined, like this week, a small team made up of mostly kids from church.  There are two dads that normally take turns coaching, but neither could this week, so Tim taught.  He said it went fine, but I think he enjoys coaching kids that are a little older.  The fact that Hyrum was drenched when practice was over was telling in his level of enjoyment.

 My week consisted of chasing after Hyrum and cleaning up after him.  The level of satisfaction of each day was determined by how many times I had to clean the carpet.  My satisfaction level increased dramatically by the end of the week.  Besides cleaning up messes, I stayed busy with ministering interviews and going through most boxes.  I have decided that I am not moving "stuff" this time.  If we haven't used it or thought about it in a year or more, it's probably time to get rid of it.  It is very liberating to see empty spots on shelves and consolidated boxes.

Speaking of moving.  We turn in the rank list in two days.  We have four weeks until match day, where we find out what our lives will look like for the next four years.  I made a count down chain to keep track of the weeks, not that I actually need any help remembering, but it is nice to rip a link off every week.

Funny story of the week occurred today.  Tim's Sunday meeting ride moved while we were out of town, so now we all go together in the morning.  This morning was our first time leaving so early and we were a little crunched for time.  We made it out the door and to church with bags and babies.  Tim dropped us off at the nursery room.  I went to put on Hyrum's socks and shoes and asked Tim where Hyrum's shoes were.  He looked at me and said, "I didn't grab them."  He then said it was hippie Sunday and Hyrum should just run around in his socks and we shouldn't waste gas, but I couldn't do it.  Our church isn't the cleanest and I couldn't stand the thought of his feet touching the bathroom floor.  We had plenty of time to drive home and back.  Next week we will be sure to have the bags, babies, and shoes before leaving.

Comments