Birthday week!

We spent the week getting ready for Tim's birthday...more mentally than physically.  With our fridge still on the fritz, I am not cooking, which means a lame birthday for Tim.  Hyrum was really excited for his birthday.  He insisted that he have lemonade and cake.  We opted for lemonade and ice cream.

Monday morning Tim went to orientation.  We went over to the church to the playgroup.  Had a blast as usual and then came home.  I decided that it was time to start Hyrum with scissors.  He was super excited and with a little practice was doing very well.  Every day this week he has asked to cut and has enjoyed "cutting" out different things.

Tuesday was another day for us playing and getting into routine.  That evening there was a new resident picnic that families were invited to.  We went and had some BBQ.  I was talking with a North Carolina native and was interested to see if I liked their BBQ.  I didn't.  As soon as I tasted it I remembered having it a long time ago and I didn't like it then either.

Wednesday was the start of allergies/sickness.  Lila has had a runny nose for a week or so and I thought it was due to new teeth, which I can now say that she officially has a top tooth.  I FINALLY popped in today.  It only took two and half months.  Any way...I'm off track.  She had watery eyes and a runny nose and I thought it was teething turned allergies.  Then Hyrum started showing the same symptoms Thursday afternoon.  He was grouchy and clearly tired and ended up taking a nap.  Two kids asleep was amazing.  It's never been so quiet!  We gave him benadryl that night and he was cleared up the following day of most symptoms other than a stuffy nose.    


That morning we went swimming at some friends from playgroup.  Their complex is cool enough to have a functioning pool and the kids had a blast.  Hyrum stayed on the edge for the first hour and I was finally able to get him on the raft.  He wanted to get off and go back to the steps.  The second he rolled off the raft he got scared because his feet didn't touch.  It was definitely one of those moments from the movies where you think you are drowning and then your feet touch the bottom.  Yeah, the pool was only two feet.  I finally caught his feet and forced them to the bottom and then he stopped crying.  On the other hand, Lila is part fish.  She was kicking and splashing all over the place.  I finally put the floaty on her and took her out.  She loved every minute.  I missed some key spots with sunscreen, which resulted in a late night run for aloe.  

Friday Tim finished a little early with orientation.  It was his last day.  He officially starts on Monday.  He received a text today stating that he was going to be switched to the cardiac unit.  He was a little concerned about that, because he feels it's one of his weaker areas.  He put in some time tonight going over patient files tonight and feels more comfortable.  I started feeling a tickle in my throat that afternoon.

On Saturday, I knew I was in trouble.  I didn't get the watery eyes, but I do have a runny nose and soar throat.  I left the kids with Tim and ran to the store.  I stinks to have to go shopping and couple of times a week.  I never realized just how much I relied on the fridge.  We were told that Monday morning it was getting fixed/replaced.  We will see.

As it is Tim's birthday on Monday we decided to celebrate on Sunday.  With limited ability to cook we kept it simple with lemonade and ice cream.  We hadn't checked out the local grocery store, so we headed over to see their selection.  Tim said that we would have to go back and test some of the flavors.  The kids loved the shopping cart.  It was great that each one had a wheel.  Hyrum has been very domineering lately.  We have had a lot of talks about sharing and not pushing his sister out of the way.  It is a good thing babies are so flexible and bouncy.  Lila sure needs it with Hyrum. 


The other thing we decided to do for Tim's birthday is smoothies.  He loves them, so we did it.  Lila tried it for the first time and liked it.  She didn't have much, but judging by the arm waving it was a hit.


Funny story.  On Saturday, Hyrum was cutting and announced that in order to eat ice cream you had to have a crown.  Crowns were made for all...very quickly.


Lila and I stayed home from church.  Her nose was a little suspect and I woke up with a very sore throat.  I got in an hour and a half nap, which helped a little.  We were officially called to primary and Tim was set apart.  We will eight be with sunbeams or Valiant 8.  I'm not sure what they will do since Tim will likely be gone most Sundays.  I'm perfectly capable teaching by myself, but with the two deep rule it could make things a little tricky.

Tim starts bright and early.  Here's to week one of a three year residency!

Comments