Vacation Week!

Tim's vacation started this week and we were very pumped!  Since the rotation schedule runs from Monday to Monday his vacation didn't actually start until Tuesday, so we will skip Monday and jump right into the fun stuff.

We tried planning a variety of activities, so that we could build in naps for Tim as well.  He is so lacking in sleep, which will be his life for the next three years.  We chose to take it easy on Tuesday with a park visit.  Tim and Hyrum had been there, but Lila and I hadn't and it was a really nice park.  They have a little rose garden that was very pretty and Lila and I enjoyed exploring.  We also walked the trail and had plenty of running and swinging on the playground.  We went home for naps and luckily avoided a car crash thanks to my screaming and Tim's quick foot.


Wednesday, Tim made french toast and I took Hyrum to a playgroup and the church.  Tim was able to work a little on his talk and take a nap while we were gone.  The weather was great so we spent some time outside.  Wednesday evening Tim picked up food from the hospital for dinner.  The hospital gives him money for food based on how much time he is at the hospital.  He had a lot left over, so we had a special dinner...meaning I didn't cook.  We also ran over to do temple recommend interviews in the evening.  It's tricky to work in the little things like that for Tim.  

Thursday we took the bus to explore UNC campus.  It is nice, but I always compare it to BYU, which in my book is beautiful, not that I am biased (maybe a little).  UNC is more spread out, and I do like how all the buildings have red brick.  We wanted to get to one of the museums, but ran out of time.

Friday we headed back to campus and ate lunch at the hospital and then went to explore the art museum.  Hyrum had fun eating Chinese food and Lila ate it as well.  The art museum did a really good job of trying to help kids enjoy art.  Hyrum carried around a magnifying glass and didn't want to part with it as we were leaving.  It was fun to look around, but some of the art I didn't really understand...like a broom or an old shoe.  I guess art is in the eyes of the beholder.  Tim also ran some errands, that he usually can't get to during a normal week.

Saturday was the big day.  I have a friend from church whose husband is the athletic trainer for the men's soccer team at UNC.  She got us tickets, so we went to watch.  It was Hyrum's first sports game and both kids did great.  Things got a little hard the last 15 minutes, but they made it with drawing on the ground, plenty of snacks, and playing tag at half time.  Hyrum also caught a soccer ball that one of the players threw and the ball has become a favorite.


Tim got to come to church with us, which it was the first time in forever.  I was able to listen more than usual.  He took Lila while I taught primary.  I really enjoyed teaching about the amour of God.  We only have three girls in the class, but they were all engaged and I felt like something might have sunk in. I went to check on Lila and see if I needed to take her so Tim could try to get something spiritual from priesthood.  I peaked in and she was sitting very still on a chair, so I left.  After church I found Tim like this.  Poor Lila must have been exhausted because I stopped being able to get her to sleep at church months ago.  He said that she sat in the chair very still for a good 40 minutes (very shocking) and then started to whimper so he picked her up and she wiggled around until she found the most uncomfortable position for Tim and then fell asleep.  I thought it was so cute.


 Unfortunately, it started raining, so I rain home in the rain to get the car to pick everyone up.  It stopped a little, so Tim took the kids out for a big.  It started to rain again and Hyrum ended up filthy and wet.  Imagine that!  We have one more day of Tim before he heads back to work.  We have really enjoyed having him home!


Comments