Brrr!

We had some much cooler temperatures this week.  It's kind of a roller coaster, some days are warmer and some days no one wants to go outside.  Not that it is super cold...maybe in the 50s.  I have found that after four years in Houston, I have lost my thicker skin.  Poor Hyrum doesn't know what to do, because all he really remembers is warm weather.  Despite the cold, we managed to get out.  We took walks almost every day in the wagon.  The kids get bundled up in coats and blankets and I pull them around in the wagon.  It is good exercise and great way to get out of the house.  We also got to go to the church to play with some other kids.  Most of our play has been at home, because Tim has the car for the next couple of weeks. 

The time change really through us off this week.  For most of the week I was up between 5-5:30 with kids...not cool.  Lila is still cutting molars, so she will wake up and fuss just enough to wake me up before falling back asleep.  Hyrum refuses to sleep with anything but his monkey blanket that is too small for him.  He wakes up at least once at night because he is cold.  Let's just say everyone was tired this week.

Hyrum has been really interested in beginning sounds.  He will either identify the sound and letter of a word or ask me what it is.  I am impressed that he is getting it!  We continue to work through the alphabet.  This week was the letter 'J' and we made some jam.  We kind of made up the recipe using dried raspberries and the result was very tasty.  We have several containers in the freezer ready to be eaten.  We have used it on toast and pumpkin waffles so far.

Lila is a goose!  She has decided that walking backwards and running around with her eyes closed are the funniest things.  She is really starting to use a variety of sounds and trying to say different words.  This week I thought I heard bowl and cup.  It's nice that she is talking, but we still can't get her to sit down and read.  She is extremely independent and determined to do her own thing.  She likes to move the books around the room, look at one page and then move them somewhere else.  She has also taken to cooking.  She spends a lot of time in the kitchen with me while I am cooking.  Lila also had another fall this week.  This time the road got her.  We were at the church to scooter and she tripped while walking and slid on her face.  Poor thing has a massive scrape on her lip, upper lip, nose and both hands.  She doesn't have much luck with her face!

The week was a blur for myself and Tim.  Tim's rotation in Raleigh started.  Traffic is nothing like Houston, but during rush hour it will take him about an hour to get home.  Their schedule is also set later, so he doesn't get home until almost seven or much later.  He didn't get to see the kids much and he had 9 days between his day off, which makes for a long week.  He has one more week in Raleigh and then he will be in clinic or at UNC for a while.

I did so more organizing again in our apartment.  Our kitchen set up is not ideal, so I moved a large shelf to block off one of the entrances to the kitchen.  It looks weird, but I already love having my kitchen stuff in the kitchen.  We made a walking trip to the library this week.  It's about a 4 mile round trip.  We have attempted to walk twice to the library.  The first time was okay, but he second we turned around.  Hyrum was on the scooter and it was just not working.  We needed to get to the the library, so I figured it would work if I pulled them in the wagon.  I don't know why I can't remember this before hand, but there are hills in Chapel Hill (note the Hill in Chapel Hill).  The way to the library isn't bad and I am usually feeling pretty confident when we get to the libary.  The way back is a different story.  It is mostly up hill.  I don't think I would have made a very good handcart pioneer.  Hyrum is really heavy and so he got booted from the wagon on the really steep hills, which he didn't like and protested loudly with much screaming and crying.  We made it home and I am thinking that if we are in a pinch that we will try the bus next time.  We also had a medical student stay with us this week, while he interviewed at UNC for residency.  Tim was able to stay at resident homes while he was interviewing.  It was a big financial blessing to us and it is nice to be able to pay if forward.

That's all from us!

Comments