Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a very busy week.  Tim was in the clinic the first half of the week.  He had a couple of shorter days in the clinic, because he had to complete quality improvement training.  He was home by dinner on Wednesday and ready for vacation.  I think it was a much needed break for him after coming off some more difficult rotations, patients, and travel. 

The kids and I were busy at the beginning of the week getting ready for Thanksgiving.  This year we stayed home as a family, plus the missionaries.  I have made parts of the Thanksgiving meal, but never the whole thing.  More on the meal later.  We rearranged our normal routine to fit the holiday schedule of closed business and the library.  We also got out and enjoyed some of the nice sun.  The kids enjoyed going out on walks.  The kids both have silly hats now.  I found an owl on for Lila and is very shiny!  She looks really cute in it and when we leave to go out she will point to her hat so she can put it on and take it.

Hyrum had another week off of preschool.  I finished up laminating and cutting out some activities for him to use as review and he enjoyed working on some of those.  On Monday, I took the kids over to the church in the morning to help fill bags for families on the community that came and picked them up for Thanksgiving.  He lasted for about 40 minutes and helped with quite a few bags.  I don't know about him, but I had fun.  He also liked helping in the kitchen.  I would say 50% of his time in the kitchen was productive and not stressful.  The other 50% of the time I was banning him from the kitchen.  I would say we have a 1/2 butt kitchen and my half butt wins over the two little butts.  There is not room to move around and it gets crazy with kids crawling and toys on the floor.  He has been waking up several times a night.  Sometimes he needs to use the bathroom and sometimes I think he is just cold.  He is doing a better job of staying under the covers, but I feel like we are back his first twelve months where I was getting up two to three times a night.  We had a fun Sunday thanks to the Friend.  There were several activities that he wanted to do.  One of them was to make a temple.  Well, he decided that he needed to make a temple five different ways.  So from the back right we have the Friend cutout, his own drawing, a graham cracker and frosting, play dough (not pictured), and the 'piece de resistance' a double temple.  You can do twice the work because there are two steeples and two angel Moroni statues.

Lila's personality is showing more and more.  It is really fun to watch her just go and boy does she go.  She is always getting into something or just moving.  This week she figured out how to grip and pull herself up using lower body muscles.  This means she can pull herself up on things that are higher like the toilet without a step stool to get into the lotion.  She definitely understands the concept of a stool, because she will run to get the nearest stool to try to see on the counter or use a chair to climb up on tables and the couch.  She mimics actions well and it's really funny to watch her pretend to dust and blow her nose.  Her language skills are improving.  She isn't as clear as Hyrum, but she is getting better at mimicking sounds.  This week she said alligator while I was singing and I am pretty sure she was saying her name as "Ila."  The only downside is that she is entering the picky eater stage.  It was hard with Hyrum and I think it is going to be even harder with her because of her personality.  

 As I mentioned earlier, I finished up cutting out the activities for Hyrum.  I really need to get working on their dress up clothes, but food took priority.  I have discovered that I really enjoy cooking big meals and I even like cleaning up after my mess, but I really doing like doing either of them with children under foot...literally.  Wednesday the kids and I made the cranberry salad, a pumpkin and mousse pie, and sweet potato casserole.  Thursday was just baking the turkey and making gravy.  The missionaries came over and we had an enjoyable time.  That evening we took the kids over to the church to play with the other families that gathered to celebrate the holiday.  

Friday we went to the temple.  It was going to take some getting used to.  You have to schedule everything and they run a very tight ship that doesn't allow for flexibility.  We didn't get to stay very long or do very much.  After the temple we went over to a mall that had a really fun climbing area for the kids to play.  Hyrum ran around with some boys and I kept a close eye on Lila because she doesn't have fear or a concept of height.  Tim took Lila again, so I could be with my class.  We are preparing Hyrum for primary.  They will start having him go in in a couple of weeks to practice.  It should be interesting.  Tim also got to go and give the sacrament to someone in the hospital.  

Here's to another week!

Comments