Long week!

The week was long for us.  The weather was rainy and cold, so we didn't get outside much.  There was definitely something in the air, because the kids were both cranky.  We had some issues with Hyrum not following the rules and Lila started teething again.  That mixed with both kids waking up multiple times a night for bathroom breaks or pain equaled bad sleep for mom, which is never a good thing.  I thought we were improving a week ago, but it seems there will be not sleep for me in the near future.

Tim continues to have a strangely easy rotation.  It is usually busier, but his patient load has been lighter.  He had some earlier days this week where he was home, and a couple of later days when he was on long call meaning he was the only doctor there covering all the patients until the night doctors get there.  We all made it to the park to enjoy the warmer weather one day this week and today he had it off, so he played with the kids outside and practiced Lila's scooter skills.  

I am surprised at how coordinated Lila is.  Hyrum has always been very active, but she seems to pick up skills faster or have interest in things that Hyrum still doesn't like to do.  Lila had a language explosion this week.  We were at the library and she started waving and saying hi to everyone.  It was super cute and awesome to see her making that connection.  She then discovered the letter /o/.  She seemed to be testing out words like orange and on.  Tim got her to say the thank you today, which was a surprise.  To anyone but use they wouldn't understand her, but it still fun to see her learn.  She also has started getting into books.  She still won't really look at the pictures, but she will at least pretend, which is better than before.

Every year I like to watch the Nutcracker.  I put it on this week and it was fun.  Lila wasn't for few minutes trying to touch the people on the screen and looking behind the TV to see if she could get the people.  Hyrum was full of questions about why they were dancing so much and what their dancing meant.  Maybe I can convince him to come with me someday to watch the real thing!

Hyrum's big thing was going to primary!  I can't believe he is old enough to be in primary. They took him in to experience music time and I was able to watch him for a bit.  It was fun to see him interacting and singing.  They assigned an older boy to sit next to him and help him, which I think was a good thing.  He is also starting to make a connection between letters and words.  We have started sounding out simple words with him like cat and dog and he can identify letters and sounds.  He is really doing very well.  We are scheduled to finish the alphabet in March and I think I will start putting all the literacy concepts together, and get him in easy readers!  

Besides trying to not blow my top this week, I was able to get in some sewing.  I just need to add some velcro to their capes and then I will have everything done.  I'll try to take some pictures next week with the finished products.  Funny story...I made some crowns for the kids.  I measured heads in preparation, but while sewing I became a little concerned they may be too small for Hyrum's head.  He was asleep, so I decided to sneak in and measure his head.  I am pleased to say that I successfully measured his head not once, but twice.  I'm not sure if he sleeps really deeply or I am just that good.  Either way it was really funny.  The ward had their Christmas party on Saturday.  Tim had to work, so the kids and I took our double batch of funeral potatoes and ginger snap cookies and had fun.  Hyrum enjoyed the performance and the food.  He had a double portion of ham, because he thought it was really good.  He did not like the potatoes, though he was a good sport and tried a bite.

That's all from us!  We are looking forward to next week.  A fellow resident wanted to make a switch, so Tim now has Christmas off.  We were expecting him to have New Years, but this will be nice.  I think we all need a break and one week earlier will be a good thing. 


Comments