Happy Easter

Happy Easter to one and all.  We had a great week preparing and celebrating the life and resurrection of the Savior.  Hyrum and I focused on the last week of the Savior's life for his scripture study this week.  I am always amazed at what he already understands.  We did have some interesting conversations about death and when we will die.  It was a little disturbing to be discussing Hyrum's death and how he will be buried.  Surprisingly, it didn't seem to bother him.  He was just curious 
about what it will be like.  

Sunday we were able to celebrate as a family.  It was Tim's switch day, so he had the day off in preparation for going in at night.  We opted to do as much as we could in the morning, so he could participate.  Basically, it was a really busy morning.  We got ready for the day and of course Hyrum was up bright and early because it was FINALLY Easter.  Nobody else wanted to get up that early, so he got to chill by himself until a more suitable hour for waking.  After getting ready, we did sacrament meeting and then had a short break, so I could get Easter lunch ready.  We did pork roast, scallop potatoes, and green beans.  For dessert, we ate homemade pudding with homemade whipped cream.  Hyrum loved his pig.  After lunch Lila and Tim took naps, while Hyrum and I spent some time together.  After naps, we did family home evening and ended with an Easter hunt...the most anticipated part of the day.  Hyrum was all over it and Lila did really well finding eggs.  They had practiced all week, so they were ready to go.  We had to stop Hyrum, because apparently the Easter bunny didn't make it difficult enough.  We ended the day with french toast for dinner.  Hyrum had been begging all week for it, so that's what we did.

The rest of the week wasn't nearly as exciting as Sunday, but it was still fun.  We discovered that Tim's schedule isn't nearly as bad as we thought.  They have way too many residents covering too few patients (no one wants to go to the hospital).  He was able to come home in the early afternoon every day this week, which was awesome.  Things are still quiet at the hospital.  They have covid patients, but attendings are still the only ones taking care of them.  We are supposed to peak in North Carolina this coming week, so I am crossing my fingers we will escape without difficulties like so many hospitals are in bigger cities.  He will be on nights for the next five days and then have five days off.

Wednesday, we decided to do a picnic.  We packed a simple lunch and walked over to the church to eat.  There is a nice place for sitting in the shade.  True to form we had Cheetos.  On our first excursion to Galveston, while we were in Texas, I happened to get some because I never buy them.  Well, it has become a staple at every picnic or fun outing.  The kids loved them and were covered in Cheeto dust.  Tim made the comment that we are going to have to start getting two bags. 

The kids were able to enjoy plenty of time outside.  I continue to go running at the church about three times a week.  We go play at our little playground afterwards.  Hyrum was into drilling holes in trees.  Lila had lots of fun digging in the dirt and becoming a master at going up and down on the ladder.

We struggled this week with Hyrum not understanding that some things are not toys.  For instance, he wanted to us a power cord for his invention.  It told him no, that it wasn't a toy and he said that he was going to use it as a tool to invent.  I didn't know what to say to him to help him understand that what he had done was pretend, because he was convinced that his paper printer invention was real and that he needed to plug it in.  We had lots of tantrums due to his inability to grasp this concept.  I am very grateful he is so creative, but seriously, if have to pull him out of Tim's tool box one more time because he needs a tool for his invention, I might loose it!

Lila has learned to climb up on our bed.  We have it raised for storage purposes.  It has become her new favorite spot to play.  She also learned how to climb up and down in her chair.  It is also high, so it is a big thing.  She has taken a couple of falls due to her climbing, which wasn't so awesome.  She continues to try to talk and say what we do and it is a lot of fun.  Still can't understand, but it's fun.

As usual, my life revolves around the kids.  I get out once a week to go shopping.  I drove in to find this!  It was definitely a new experience.  The store limited the number of customer, so we were all lined up outside 6 feet apart. 

Luckily, I got there at a good time and the line was short and moved fast.  That was not the case when I left.  The shelves looked good.  The only thing that I couldn't find was disinfecting wipes, but that isn't a big deal.  I did enjoy making Easter dinner.  I opted to get a roast instead of a ham.  They are always so big and it takes us months to get through it.  I was nervous to do the roast, because I don't normally cook larger meats.  I had to laugh when Tim said not to worry because I wasn't cooking for anyone else, and that it would turn out fine.  He was right.  I let it cook all night and it was tender and delicious for lunch.  And Tim wasn't being mean with his comment.  For some reason everything turns out fine when I cook for just us even when I forget a major ingredient at the store.  It's another story when other people are involved.  I can't tell you how many times a meal or dessert hasn't turned out when I am trying to cook/bake for others. 

Any way...here's hoping our covid peak comes and goes peacefully!

Comments