Happy Birthday!

As I sat down to write the blog, the thought came that it was a really boring week.  Then I remembered it was Hyrum's birthday!  I guess every other day this week couldn't hold a candle to the excitement of Monday.

We decorated his chair Sunday night, so he would see it first thing in the morning.  We were hoping that he wouldn't wake up too early, because there would be no going back to bed if he saw his chair.  He did well coming out just before seven.  Tim and I woke up to him saying, "Hey, wake up!  It's my birthday!"  The day had finally come and he was going to own it.  We had so many funny quotes from the morning.  Like, "Look at my chair.  Why does it have stuff on it?"  "I am going to go see how many drawers tall I am."  A little while later we heard, "I'm not any drawers taller."  "I bet I can run faster."  "I'm four and big."  "Do I get a booster seat?" "Where are my presents?"  Mind you all of these questions were coming at top speed and probably said within a fifteen minute period as he was running around the apartment full of birthday energy.


He requested eggs and toast for his breakfast and it was served on a red plate.  It was the first time he really got to use it and he was excited for the special plate.  It was at this point that he started planning my birthday, since it is next in line.  He kept saying that I would have to go to bed early so he and Tim could decorate my chair and that I would be the red plate when it was my birthday.

After getting ready, we opted to open presents.  Monday was Tim's switch day and he wanted to take a nap in the afternoon before going into work.  He was excited about all his presents.  He got a more advanced set of magnets, water guns, bubbles, and a booster seat.  All were a hit!  After playing with magnets for a bit and doing some other things we headed out for lunch.  We took the kids to Wendy's to pick up lunch and to let Hyrum ride in his booster seat.  He was over the moon happy to sit in his booster seat.  Lila was also really excited because she got Hyrum's old seat that she fits so much better in.  She was still riding in the infant car seat that was a little cramped.


We took lunch to the church to eat outside, because it was nice and who doesn't like to eat outside.  We came home for naps and then took the water guns out for some fun.  Hyrum loved the guns.  He was a little confused at first and only wanted to water the plants.  He got into it as Tim started getting him wet.  He and Tim chased each other around having a blast.  Lila got in on the action as well, though she didn't know how to press the button, so she would just chase and I would pretend that she was getting me wet.  I thought it was a great arrangement.  Hyrum got to the point where he was just squirting himself.  He would point the gun at his shirt and squirt himself as he was running around.


Here's little Lila...the assassin that she is!


We ended the day with hot dogs, curly fries and cantaloupe.  Again, he was just pleased as punch.

After dinner came the cupcakes.  I opted to try making a small batch from scratch, so we didn't end up with try to eat a dozen before they went bad, or we got sick.  It turned out great!  I thought they tasted better than the box and Tim said he could tell a difference, which I guess is a good thing.

The rest of the week just couldn't match the excitement of Monday.  Tim was on nights, so we were back to trying to stay quiet during the day, so he could sleep.  I don't know why we try, because he really sleeps through everything from tantrums to dance parties. He is now off for five days and then will be doing something I think from home.  But, don't quote me on it because I never really understand.  Speaking of schedules.  There is a rumor going around that their schedules will be returning to normal or close to it with some modifications to account for the fact that they still have covid patients coming in.  Again, that is just a rumor so don't quote me on it either.

Hyrum played with his new toys all week and Lila tried to as well.  Hyrum is very protective of his things and it sometimes ends up with him in trouble because he is too protective.  We purchased a set of very easy books to help him read.  They came this week and I had the chance to look through them and organized them, so that we could start using them in preschool.  I am excited to see how he does with them and if he starts to recognize some of his sight words more.

Lila continues to chatter away, get into everything, and get into trouble for it!  She is a doll and I am always surprised at what she knows and understands.  She learned how to turn puzzle pieces around to get them to fit, which was a big thing.  She loves to dump them out, but has never been able to put them back in. 

I left the first trimester behind and I could be more relieved/excited.  It was really hard to just feel crummy.  I feel much better and I had my first OB appointment.  For now, they will continue to have as few appointments as possible, which I am okay with.  I will go in for another ultrasound and appointment in about ten weeks.  Besides Hyrum's birthday cupcakes, I also tried a granola recipe.  It turned out well and I am going to keep using it.  I was also able to do a little extra cleaning that really needed to be done, while Tim watched the kids outside this weekend.  It's amazing what a person can do when they don't feel so sick.

Until next week! 




Comments