Another week for us!

Tim was back on a sport's medicine.  He was happy to be back working with the doctors.  Out patient always means better hours, which means he is home earlier.  The kids always love these weeks.  Unfortunately, the bus system isn't as reliable as it has been in the past, so we had to take Tim on a couple of the days.  We were able to pick him up as well, which is always a fun bonus.  

We had the car for most of the week, so I ran errands with the kids.  We hit up the library curbside pick-up a couple of times and went to Walmart and the grocery store.  I always enjoy weeks when we have things to do other than being at home.  It's a nice break from trying to entertain the kids.  The kids like it, because they don't get out very much any more.  

One of our Walmart items was new pajamas for Hyrum.  He has been trying to squeeze into his old pair for a while.  Of course Lila had to try it on and Hyrum was very good about it.  She really likes to put on clothes and shoes that don't belong to her.  It's only a little annoying in the mornings when I am trying to get dressed, but she is wearing one or more items of my clothing.  As you can see from the pictures, he chose Star Wars.  That kids loves Star Wars even though he has never seen any of the movies.

One fun thing to watch this week was the kids playing together.  Between being forced to play with each other because of Covid and Lila getting older and wanting to play with others, they have been spending time each day just playing.  It's great to hear more laughter and pretending rather than yelling.  Lila continues to add all kind of words.  It makes it easier for all of us including Hyrum as they play.  Bigger words are getting clearer and she has started saying two word sentences.  I know I have said this a million and two times between Hyrum and Lila, but I love this stage of learning.  They just soak up all knowledge.   

Lila has been praying more this week.  Because she sounds clearer, her prayers are much better as we we help her.  She is also to the stage where tantrums and sass are more frequent.  I don't think she is as bad as Hyrum yet.  It was a literal switch with Hyrum.  He was so nice and obedient and then one day he woke up and he discovered his agency and has been willfully using ever since.  I feel with Lila tantrums happen more when she gets woken up early by Hyrum in the morning or is really tired before nap.  We have started timeouts with her.  It's more of a way to separate her from her emotion or whatever is causing the problem.  She actually put herself in timeout this week which was really funny.

Hyrum continues to love reading.  We have been getting more chapter books from the library and he has chosen to read those in place of a couple of his bucket activities.  I should clarify and say that Tim or I read the books while he listens.  They are mostly Magic School Bus, which seems to feed his imagination and need to explore and learn.  He continues to improve every week with learning to read.  I am about ready to move him to harder books.  I am amazed at how much progress he has made in just a couple of months.  He got to go with Tim today to help a resident who was having car trouble.  I think it is so funny how excited he gets when he gets to do service or just anything that he thinks is cool.  He has been working for the past couple of weeks on saying please and thank you.  His asks come out more as demands and aren't very nice.  We have been working towards milkshakes as a reward.  He really has improved.  I am hoping that we can maintain some niceness.

I was in the kitchen a lot this week.  I made several dishes that I hadn't made before and the whole family got to enjoy.  I made flat bread again and it went much better this time.  I also made banana muffins for snack.  The kids enjoyed the mininess of them, but I think they liked the cookies just a little better.  Tim really likes pumpkin chocolate chip, so we made them for him.  Some of the meals I was proud of were chicken and veggies roasted in the oven, a Thai chicken salad, and a cauliflower chowder.  I really like finding new recipes and it's a bonus when the kids will eat them without a fuss.  Baby is growing.  I can't believe we are so close to the last trimester, just two more weeks. 

Next week probably won't be nearly as busy, so hopefully we can find things to do!

Comments