Swimming!

Oh my goodness!  I am not sure how we have survived without the pool.  Our complex opened the pool up this week and we have been every single day.  We typically go from 3-5 in the afternoon.  Sunday 3 pm rolled around and we were at a loss of what to do, because swimming has become a big part of our day.  I'm going to gloat for just a minute.  The kids are doing awesome with their swimming.  I was concerned I would struggle trying to keep both kids from panicking and hanging all over me, but I worried needlessly.  Hyrum remembered much of what he learned last summer and didn't really need help on the first day.  Lila did great as well.  She loved the water last year and she liked me pushing her along on the first day.  But, little did me know Lila is part Atlantian and by day two she was swimming all around the pool without any help.  It was really something to see, especially when she relaxes and floats around with her little, buoyant bottom in the air.  She just took to swimming...still with her floatie.  Both kids love to jump to Tim, "rescue" the ball, swim to the waterfall, and hang out on the steps.  I have been super grateful, because there is zero fighting from the hours of 3-5 pm, which makes for a less stressful, stressful part of the day.

Tim had most of the week off.  It was a hard first couple of days as he adjusted to days.  The kids enjoyed having him around, because he is way more fun than mom in the pool and they haven't really seen him for the past month, so it's always a party when it's bonding time again.  He did have to go into clinic for a couple of half days, but those are super easy and only half days.  I benefited this go around of adjusting to days because he tried something a little different to flip his sleep schedule quicker.  He ended up waking up super early in the morning, which meant he had already put several hours in before the kids woke up and was ready to be with the kids.  Another great benefit was breakfast!  He made breakfast pretty much every day this week.  He started with omelets, which he has never made, but did fantastic.  He moved on to oatmeal and then a variation of scrambled eggs based on the omelet, and a blueberry French toast bake.  He made the scrambled eggs twice and the last time was with black beans and tortillas. 

Hyrum had an active week.  He spent a lot of time outside playing and swimming.  He has started trying to climb trees.  He usually finds a spot to play while I go running in the church parking lot.  On one day, he ran up and said, "Mom, you want to come see me be a koala?"  Of course I wanted to see him and he climbed up and hung like a koala.  He also has been working on his bug catching skills.  On my last lap he ran up and said to look in his bucket.  He had managed to catch ten or so centipedes, an ant, and a potato bug.  He has also spent a lot of time in the past couple of weeks reading Magic School Bus books.  This week he learned about allergies, microbes, the ocean, and scientists.  It's so interesting to hear him repeat things he remembers from his books.  This is the first time we have read any chapter books and he does surprisingly well sitting for 30-40 minutes to read a whole book. 

He still enjoys the smaller picture books and is identifying more and more sight words.  He also made a pioneer wagon with Tim using craft supplies and then on Sunday decided to make a wagon out of chairs and blankets.  The Sunday wagon was much cooler than the Thursday wagon.  I think the pioneers would have much preferred the Sunday wagon as it contained a kitchen, boosters, propellers, and rockets.

Lila's week was exciting.  Like I mention before her Atlantian gene activated and swimming became even more exciting and fun.  She loves getting her lotion on, so she can go outside.  She continues to work on her verbal skills.  This week we picked up a library book about dancing.  She loves to sit down and turn the pages and say, "I will dance."  She has also started reading Hop on Pop.  She usually just repeats the main words like cup and pup, but it's super cute and exciting.  She and Hyrum both attended a short primary activity on Saturday.  She especially enjoyed her popsicle.  Hyrum enjoyed singing along with the other kids and it was just nice to see other people.  Probably, the biggest thing (maybe more for mom than her) was her first haircut.  It has been getting very ratty at the end and hard to brush.  I tried to get it wet enough to lay flat, but it didn't work.  He goes well below her shoulder blades.

 Like Hyrum, she sat very still while I cut her hair because of videos playing.  He was a pretty fast cut as I was only evening out her hair.  I think the finished product turned out well.  I discovered Lila's curls are more forgiving and will hide uneven lines much easier. 

 Besides swimming, we also went and got ice cream and enjoyed it at home.  The kids and Tim are always up for a cold treat.  I would love to say I have more restraint, but who and I kidding.  I was just as excited.  We also roasted some hot dogs and banana boats at the church again.  We learned a few things about the banana boats the first time and they turned out better than last time.  I think the third time will do the trick and we will have perfected it.

The kids got sweaty and filthy, but they had so much fun, so I guess it was a win.  It was also a win, because we beat the rain.  There was a chance of rain and we made it back before it started raining.

I had a great week because Tim was around more.  I was able to go get my hair cut.  The salons have opened in locations further out from Chapel Hill.  I had ratty hair like Lila's, because it has been six months.  I am almost 25 weeks along and just starting to get uncomfortable.  I can still sleep and exercise well, but the bending is getting difficult.  I am hoping I will be able to stay active longer with this one.  Lila seemed to be a lot lower and around this time with her it started to get very painful to do anything active.

That's all from us.  I expect to be swimming every day next week as well...wish me luck!

Comments