Worst Date Ever!

We had some high points and low points to our week.  This will be a pretty short post as you will find out later.  If you just can't wait you can skip to the bottom...otherwise...I am that kind of person to make you wait.

Tim had several days off this week, which was nice for him and handy for me.  He did go into clinic for a couple of days to care for patients.  The kids enjoyed having him around to play.  He only saw them twice in the last two weeks, so they had lots of catching up to do.

Hyrum continues to learn and grow.  He enjoyed writing some stories this week and showed marked improvement in his drawing skills.  I snapped a picture of this one during his bucket activities.  The picture shows his Pete the Cat and he was writing how they went scuba diving.  His handwriting is coming along so nicely.  He played outside a lot with Tim and also got to make dinner this week.  He is always begging to help, so this week he got to make pigs in a blanket.  There was a little supervision on my part, but he rolled everything up by himself.  He was very proud.  Hyrum also got to meet Uncle Jared and Aunt Patty, Tim's aunt and uncle.  He had a blast with them and was sad to see them go.  I am sure he will be talking about them for weeks to come.

We picked up a few toys from a free toys a neighbor was ready to pass on.  The kids enjoyed play with them, for a few days until I put them up, because they are technically for the new baby when he is learning to walk.  Lila loved cruising around on the little car, so I am sure when it comes out again she will love it.  There is just something so magical about toys that have been shelved for a while...it's like Christmas.  She was my little helper this week, which came in handy.

Tim and I took advantage of him being home to try some new recipes.  One be made for lunch and the other was a Friday night date dinner...not the one that was the worst one ever.  The first was a tostada with a corn, black bean, refried bean, and onion mixture.  Tim loved, but he loves all things Mexican so it isn't hard.  The other was a Mexican hummas dip.  Tim declared that he liked making different dinners for us and feeding the kids something else.  We put some toppings over the hummas and ate it with chips.  Tim helped making both...he actually ended up doing a lot of cooking and other things this week.
 

You are probably wondering what all this is about and what the worst date was, unless you skipped then you already know.  Wednesday night Tim and I ended up in the ER because of a kitchen mishap.



I felt like the biggest idiot, but so grateful that Tim was home, because my finger hurt like crazy.  I was prepping the spiralizer to make curly fries with wet hands and my hand slip causing my to cut off a good chunk of the side of my left pinky.  I didn't know hands could bleed so much or hurt.  The PA who was helping me tried to get the bleeding to stop several ways.  The most notable and painful was trying to inject lidocaine under my remaining nail to stop the bleeding.  After that, she called a hand surgeon to come and take a look.  They ended up numbing my finger to take off the rest of the nail and doing some stitching to stop the bleeding and do a little reconstruction.  We were really lucky the whole process only took about five hours, because the ER was packed and ER waits are notorious for being long, but more importantly the damage wasn't more extensive.

The kids were very nice on Thursday.  They both slept in and were sweet to let me bum around all day.  I didn't sleep well, due to waking up with shooting pains in my hand.  My hand just really hurt to move it at all, which makes momming really hard...think diaper changing.  Being a one handed mom, plus trying to schedule a follow up appointment around Tim's schedule left me a hot mess that Tim got to deal with when he got home from clinic.

Some sweet tender mercy moments.  We have an a amazing ministering brother who was literally at our house ten minutes before dropping something off.  I am sure he just walked in his door before Tim called to see if he could come back.  He did dinner and bed with the kids.  I woke up to Lila saying, "Mama hurt.  Mama band-aid."  She was very tender and caring all day and check on my finger.  And dear Hyrum sang me his version of Hush Little Baby, while I laid on the bed trying not to cry.  "Hush big mama don't say a word.  Daddy's gonna by you a diamond dress.  If that diamond dress gets broke, you'll still be the best mama in town."  I'll take two please!

Each day my finger hurt a little less, which made life easier.  It was also easier because Tim took over baths, diapers, and cooking.  It really gave me a chance to not use my left.  Well, here's to a week with no ER visits!

Comments

Holly said…
Oh dear! I hope it heals well and quickly!

Sure love you!
Holly