And I'm Back!

 It's been a week to say the least.  Tim was back at work doing the whole long hours, meaning I was flying solo for better or worse.  I think the following pictures best describe our week.  

Periods of cuteness...


Followed closely by periods of exasperation and power struggles.  Notice what is on the table beside Lila...and just in case you can't tell what it is, it's a diaper.  Specifically, it's the diaper that was on her bum before she decided to take said diaper off as an act of rebellion because I made her get off the toilet to eat her lunch.


Any who, let's get on with the week.  

Tim was back at work full time.  He has been at a hospital in Raleigh, which makes for long days for him.  He has enjoyed his schedule, because they changed the way they do admissions and it makes things easier for them.  I don't always follow his explanations, but he seemed pretty happy about the change.  He had some pretty serious patients and the hospital is full.  Apparently, the hospitals always fill up this time of year because of the time of year and bad holiday choices.  It's been a while since he was in the hospital because of taking leave for Liam and all the work he has done with sport's medicine.  It was a bit of an adjustment, but he was relieved that his intern seems to be over the newbie hump and performing well.  Also, he is scheduled for the covid vaccine next week.  It will be interesting to see if having the vaccine allows him greater opportunities to work with sports.

Hyrum had periods of awesomeness and periods of not that.  We have talked a lot about the Christmas spirit and on our walk early in the week he spent the whole time waving and yelling Merry Christmas to everyone.  He brought a lot of smiles to drivers.  We have taken a step back as far has his behavior.  Towards the end of the week we had a lot of yelling fits and general anger.  I wish I knew the trick to staying the path of progress, but he just struggles sometimes.  He continues to enjoy preschool and loves learning.  

You already know from above that Lila spent the week asserting her independence.  Unfortunately, she is picking up some of Hyrum's bad behaviors.  It's really hard to explain to a two year old that what she sees Hyrum do isn't right and that she shouldn't do it.  As well, she is just at that age where she wants to be independent and to a certain extent can be with supervision.  She loves Liam and helping with anything connected to him.  Her greatest desire to to pick him up and I have been able to stop that for now, but I am sure the time is close when I will turn my back for two seconds only to find Lila carrying Liam.

Liam is growing like crazy.  His 0-3 month clothes are fitting on the slightly tighter side.  This week he was more alert between naps.  He still spends all day in the carrier napping, but that will have to come to an end soon, because he is HEAVY!  I am sure he is well over 10 pounds.  He is also taking more interest in what is happening around him.  He often watches the other two and we saw some first smiles!  I have to hold really tight to the smiles, because the frustration at 2 am clouds the warm feelings.  He is still struggling with some tummy troubles, but that is due to the fact that I keep eating soy.

I guess I can add detective to my list of job titles.  Dairy was a piece of cake to drop, but I have found that soy is in everything.  When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING!  I couldn't figure out why we were still having some trouble with Liam only to discover that my olive oil cooking spray had soybean oil in it.  I was also distraught to find out that the apple pie I made had soy.  I was really careful to check the ingredients of the pie shell, but I wasn't careful enough, because vegetable oil is a combination of soybean oil and other oils.  I am hoping that we can finally have a run of soy free, so we can see if it really makes a difference.  I have seen improvement, but it's always hard to tell if it is because of what I am dropped or his gut maturing.  But, the apple pie made with dried apples was a hit.  The little bit that I did have was tasty and everyone else really enjoyed it.  I opted to do a crumble top, which was delicious.     

While we didn't celebrate Christmas this week, we did get a Christmas surprise.  At about 1 pm we heard a knock at the door.  I opened it to find Tim on the other side.  We weren't expecting him home until late, but I guess the stars aligned and he was able to get everything done very early, so he could leave.  It was the best Christmas present for me, because I was coming off of several really bad nights and I was tired and in desperate need of sleep and a break from the older two.  Tim took over holding Liam and entertained the older two, so I could get a nap.  We also had a Christmas miracle of Liam not fussing  from 5-9, so I was able to to get an extra hour of sleep.  It had been a week or so of him not taking a peaceful nap during that time.  

The anticipation is still building at our house for Christmas.  We have two more days until Christmas and the kids are excited.  Tim will also have his week off, so we will have some time with him.  

We hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and hopefully I'll remember to take pictures to share for next week.

Comments