Sick days!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Tim and the kids drove home on Monday.  They made good time despite the bathroom break thirty minutes after starting home.  It was a great reunion.  Unfortunately, the older two started showing signs of sickness on Tuesday.  We've been lucky the past year and haven't been sick very often.  It's kind of hard to get sick when you don't see anyone!  Fortunately, the hardest part of the cold last 24 hours and then it was just a stuffy nose.  The hardest part was Liam got it and has really struggled the last two days.  

Hyrum doesn't do well when he is sick.  I have plenty of empathy for him, but he tends to become even more dramatic.  The sea of white tissues is what we came out to one morning.

Despite being sick there was plenty of dress-up and playtime.  Hyrum was excited for Valentine's Day.  He and Lila made their own hearts and decorated them.  Hyrum also helped me cook in the kitchen.  He is becoming quite the chopper.  Sometimes it is really hard to come up with things for him to do.  Our funny quote of the week comes from Hyrum.  Tim taught him a new word, extraction.  He gave Hyrum some examples and asked him if he could come up with his own example.  Hyrum promptly said, "I can extract my own boogers."  Insert face slapping emojee.  


Lila weathered her cold much better than Hyrum. She helped in the kitchen as well.  She is also getting creative in bed.  Tim went in one morning and found that she had set up her own tent in bed.  She is starting to fix things with Hyrum's tools.  It's fun to see her expand her play and pretending.  She also had her second molar pop in this week! 


I also tried braiding her hair.  Try being the key word.  I don't clam to be very good at braiding, but it is super hard to braid hair on someone who has curls! It was a fun little exercise and when I asked her if she wanted braids the next day she promptly said no.

Liam's big first this week was a cold.  Not fun, but at least we got it out of the way.  He ran a slight fever and had a very stuffy nose, which made it really hard to eat.  He continues to struggle with his tummy.  I am counting down the days until we can start solids.  If I remember correctly, Lila started doing so much better once she was eating solids.

Tim had the week off.  He was going to try to go in to work with sports medicine doctors, but the colds make it difficult.  Normally it isn't a big deal, but if there is even a chance that kids were sick with anything else (covid) we have to take extra precautions.  He was planning on getting covid tested any way so he could work at a lacrosse game.  He was negative and was able to attend the game.  He about froze, but he was able to attend.  The temperature was in the 30s...and raining.

Rainy weeks when the kids are sick are always hard.  I tend to just do the basics every day.  I did have a Zoom Stake Relief Society meeting on Saturday.  It was interesting to listen to the training, and I was grateful it was on Zoom, because I wouldn't have been able to attend otherwise.  I am still dairy, soy, and wheat free, which makes it difficult to bake and cook.  I decided to experiment with coconut flour.  I learned some very valuable lessons.  The most important being that coconut flour is gross and second, I should only experiment when I am not on a time crunch, like getting breakfast.  Let's just say the first batch of crepes only made it as far as the trash.  I went back to my old faithful flour and had much better success.  On the positive side, my grain free brownies and dairy free ice cream taste much better! 

Here's to a healthier week!

Comments