Ahh the power of legos...and big machines...and water.

Happy Mother's Day to all those who strive to be an influence for good in the lives of those around them!  It was a good day at our house, but more on that later.

We'll start with a brief Tim update.  He was in clinic all week.  He was able to get home early on a couple of days and was home later on of few other days.  He had some hard cases and some easy, but he seemed to have a good week, not that he has terrible weeks all the time.  He did a great job today with handling making the day special and the kids.

Hyrum had a big week.  He is to the point in his reading skills that he is able to figure out more complex words.  Today while listening on the priesthood lesson he read the word minister.  Tim and I were impressed.  Hyrum is also able to eat breakfast by himself.  I have been on the hunt for a small pitcher, so he is trying to pour out of a gallon jug.  He spilt milk on the first day, but had great success the rest of the week getting his own breakfast.  I was happy to not have him coming in at the crack of dawn stating that he was hungry.  He also got to go to Walmart to pick out a new toy using his birthday money.  He settled on a lego rescue set.  He loves it and has spent hours building and taking it apart.  On the first day we got home at about 11:30 for lunch, but he decided that he wanted to build.  He stayed engaged and not ready for lunch until he finally ate at 2 pm.  Legos have been he main source of entertainment since his birthday and I'm not complaining.  And our funny Hyrumism of the week happened today after church.  He has been saying recently that he doesn't like church and that he doesn't want to go to church.  I finally asked him why and he said that he doesn't like to go because he has to sit still, the only thing he got was the sacrament, and he couldn't be loud.  Well goodness me, is that all?!

While Hyrum struggled with church, Lila did much better.  Last week she was very disruptive and the activities that I brought for Hyrum at her age did absolutely nothing for her.  Good ol' Pinterest gave me some ideas, so she took the first two activities this week and enjoyed building with cut sponges and lacing cut straws.  Since moving she has developed a passion for pouring and dumping water.  There are a couple of water tables that she has played with and has had so much fun with them.  She has discovered that the sink can be a substitute in a pinch.  I find it a little annoying/stressful because I have to stay on top of dishes to make sure the knives are out of the sink and the dishes are rinsed, because someone likes to taste test dirty dishes (insert forehead slap here).  She also got to help in the kitchen to cook dinner.  Tim reported that she is a great stirrer and is much better than Hyrum was at going slow and sticking with it.  Personally, I'm not surprised.

Liam had a big week this week.  He started taking longer naps for both naps.  Up until now we have really only had 42 minute naps.  He magically started taking longer naps at the end of the week.  Part of the magic was due to me finally getting him to sleep on his stomach.  I have always laid the kids on their backs at first, because that's what the pediatricians have always said to do and allow them to roll on their own.  After almost six months of struggling I finally helped this along.  He is also sleeping flat all the time.  We have had him tilted because of all the spit-up, but that seems to be getting better.  We have been working on it for a couple of weeks and things seemed to click this week.  Unfortunately, we have spent a LOT of time at night awake.  He doesn't seem to be able to get more than an hour and a half at a time.  I am hoping this is part of a sleep regression because I am tired (literally) of only getting 1.5-2 hours of sleep at a time.  He is also getting stronger, so the older kids are getting more of a chance to hold and play with him.  It won't be long now and he will really be fun to play with.    

And I thought this was super funny and so very much like Hyrum.  It's a little hard to see, but in the picture is a bucket loader.  They were moving mulch around with it and Liam was fascinated with it.  He sat and watched for a good 15 minutes.

Saturday was a great weather day.  Someone in our complex organized a BYOM (bring your own meat) BBQ.  It was a lot of fun for the kids.  I also really love this picture because of Lila.  She has the hardest time getting her helmet on right.  She looks super goofy and cute, but she also reminds me of a stormtrooper.  We call her stormtrooper Lila.

Tim did a great job making the day special.  Mother's Day for me started Saturday at 11 pm.  Liam was having a particularly difficult time and Tim took the 11-2am shift working with Liam and staying in his room.  I have been sleeping in his room in shirts during the night and let's just say I am not as young as I once was.  I was nice to get a little more sleep before my shift from 2-5am.  Tim took Liam and the other kids to make breakfast.  It was my choice of regular or chocolate chip pancakes with strawberry/raspberry syrup, brownie chunks and whip topping.  Funny side note, Lila loves whipped topping, Hyrum won't touch it.

Liam got to join for the fun, but not the tasty food.  I have enjoyed my first full week enjoying regular food.  I still trying not to have too much of the foods that I was off of, but it is really nice not having to worry about reading labels and just cooking.  It has also been a funny to retrain myself because I am so used to avoiding certain things when cooking and now I don't need to worry.



Until next week! 

Comments